SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until we get rid of this frigid air we will not get a storm.  Cold and dry is all we will have until pattern changes.  Models will continue to show waves only to watch them disappear in the end.  It has been doing this for last couple of weeks and looks to continue.  Hopefully I am wrong but saw this in mid 90's as well

This is a strong phasing/cutoff scenario... An Atlantic coast bomb... Could totally see this one as an Eastern GA/SC/NC special. Given the cold boundary layer conditions.  Not ideal for western sections, unless we see some STJ moisture/overrunning waves become involved or drawn in... Will need to watch that...

However, as I said yesterday, the setup for next week favors a strong phase/cutoff over the East Coast. Some are looking for a Gulf storm and are confused a bit. This to me looks like more of an Atlantic system/situation with a late phase. If you look back at some sfc maps from Jan 2000, the SLP is actually drawn WNW from offshore towards HAT as it bombs/phases and then rides the coast. Similar to what the Euro is showing. However, given the look of the waves, I think an earlier phase than what it is showing would be likely. Too early to go into details, but should be a fun one to follow perhaps/hopefully.

1 minute ago, griteater said:

The wave evolution down into the southern plains was a little worse this run, but it saved it at the end a bit. CMC was more SE this run too 

Yep, ridge axis was further east but earlier phase saved it.  The ridge axis is a bummer because it can only get so far west even with an ideal phase.  download_model-en-087-0_modez_2017122812

2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

This is a strong phasing/cutoff scenario... An Atlantic coast bomb... Could totally see this one as an Eastern GA/SC/NC special. Given the cold boundary layer conditions.  Not ideal for western sections, unless we see some STJ moisture/overrunning waves become involved or drawn in... Will need to watch that...

However, as I said yesterday, the setup for next week favors a strong phase/cutoff over the East Coast. Some are looking for a Gulf storm and are confused a bit. This to me looks like more of an Atlantic system/situation with a late phase. If you look back at some sfc maps from Jan 2000, the SLP is actually drawn WNW from offshore towards HAT as it bombs/phases and then rides the coast. Similar to what the Euro is showing. However, given the look of the waves, I think an earlier phase than what it is showing would be likely. Too early to go into details, but should be a fun one to follow perhaps/hopefully.

I was thinking the same thing but hated to throw out the January 2000...LOL!  But in all seriousness, with just a little earlier phase this has potential for being a big storm. These are the types that really get my attention.

1 minute ago, Huriken said:

That's not too bad of a look on the Euro. Could we see this trend NW or will the HP hold strong?

I think the strength of the HP is the golden ticket, if it stays strong it will remain an I-95 special or no storm at all. However, if it weakens a little and is a little more NE we might be in for a major storm if it phases right.

Archived