Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

As long as we have that massive arctic front hitting I do not think we get a storm. The high pressure is just going to eat anything in its path. 

I agree, I think this pattern has clearly shown itself to be cold and dry.  The northern stream is too dominant and the west not amplified enough to get real digging.  Without a nino I wonder if we'll ever get an active STJ this year. 

1 minute ago, SnowNiner said:

I agree, I think this pattern has clearly shown itself to be cold and dry.  The northern stream is too dominant and the west not amplified enough to get real digging.  Without a nino I wonder if we'll ever get an active STJ this year. 

You hit the nail on the head! Northern stream dominant and these waves are not strong enough for these arctic highs. Suppression is a huge issue at this point and it looks like the troughs are deep into the SE. 

23 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

I’m surprised that no one noticed the GFS took a HUGE step towards the CMC/EURO of last night with the vort wrapping up nicely and trying to go neutral for this system. It’s a little late but what we want to see. 

00z CMC

xQ1WSTG.png

12z GFS

ZDqoLyU.png

Good pick up Snow! I have been busy at work this morning, however reviewing the 12z GFS, this think is close to going full nuke status. This has some serious analog similarities written all over it. The fact that Euro actually agrees with the general depiction at this point is huge. 

10 minutes ago, packbacker said:

So we have a consensus with UK/CMC/GFS for a miss to the SE.  It’s a ball tracking these misses...and it looks like Ryan Maues site isn’t free anymore.  Going to be in the dark on the Euro.  

It’s the trends tho. Take the GFS for instance, 6Z it tracks south of Cuba, 12Z has it tracking near Miami. One more shift like that and it’s tracking over JAX and some east of 95 are worried about BL temps. 

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Who wants to pay to see the Euro make us go 0/4 on the day anyway?

My hands are up...LOL!  I really like the look on this storm. It might be because the possibilities of this being a big storm are there.  It probably has a higher percentage of being nothing but it has me intrigued.  Go big or go home...LOL!

15 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Who wants to pay to see the Euro make us go 0/4 on the day anyway?

We are tracking model consensus on model misses!? How sad are we?? All wishing for a NW trend, that can't logically happen? Or we could score on the 7/8th event as pattern relaxes and we warm into the 50s and go cold after that! :(

2 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

The Euro hasn't been removed from weather.us, . . . yet.

I haven’t been out there today.  It’s almost more fun waiting just to ride the emotional roller coaster of the pbp on these boards, rather than looking for yourself, knowing how it’s going to turn out in advance.

At least here, you get to feel the model output:  BOOM!  Digging more!  Staying intact longer!  Farther west!  Not getting sheared as much!  NE vortex lifting out quicker!  Much more like (insert model showing snow here)!  Loving the trends!  Big step in the right direction!  Precip braking out farther north!  Colder!  Less suppressed!  Gonna be good, I think!  Ok, that was close.  Definitely a better look.  Man, if abcdefg were just slightly better/different/oriented different/faster/slower/taller/steeper/shorter/harder, that would have been a monster.  On to the (insert model showing snow here).  This pattern sucks.

That is so much more fun than looking at a model run by yourself.

14 minutes ago, rduwx said:

My hands are up...LOL!  I really like the look on this storm. It might be because the possibilities of this being a big storm are there.  It probably has a higher percentage of being nothing but it has me intrigued.  Go big or go home...LOL!

The fact that an RDU poster started the thread gives me at least a modicum of hope.

47 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I haven’t been out there today.  It’s almost more fun waiting just to ride the emotional roller coaster of the pbp on these boards, rather than looking for yourself, knowing how it’s going to turn out in advance.

At least here, you get to feel the model output:  BOOM!  Digging more!  Staying intact longer!  Farther west!  Not getting sheared as much!  NE vortex lifting out quicker!  Much more like (insert model showing snow here)!  Loving the trends!  Big step in the right direction!  Precip braking out farther north!  Colder!  Less suppressed!  Gonna be good, I think!  Ok, that was close.  Definitely a better look.  Man, if abcdefg were just slightly better/different/oriented different/faster/slower/taller/steeper/shorter/harder, that would have been a monster.  On to the (insert model showing snow here).  This pattern sucks.

That is so much more fun than looking at a model run by yourself.

You forgot my favorite: baby steps! Hers hoping the Euro takes baby steps today!

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I’m thinking the Euro will take a baby poo, but we’ll see.  This pattern has featured flatter and weaker...so far.

You can already see by hour 96 the Euro will miss wide right. Ridge axis is further east.  This is just sad now...we should just delete all these threads and pretend the last week didn’t happen. 

Archived