SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS RAH: 7:15 PM update:  It appears that our worst-case scenario forecast from briefings earlier today & yesterday has materialized as we are getting 3+ inch snow reports from areas southwest of Raleigh. As such we have expanded our winter storm warning & increased snowfall totals #ncwx https://t.co/JddvmYLKJt

2 minutes ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

2-3 inches in Raleigh. 1-2 inches in Smithfield & Goldsboro, which are SE of Raleigh, and closer to the low.

I know better than to question RAH. I just wonder what they are seeing here to come up with those totals.

they are in reaction mode, I suspect Goldsboro ends up with a might bit more than 1-2" just SW of them they already have 2-3" down....this thing is just now getting cranked up there is still 4-5 hrs of this left for you guys and 8-10 hrs for us down here at least.....

Just now, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

I know better than to question RAH. I just wonder what they are seeing here to come up with those totals.

That's total snow 4PM to 7AM tomorrow. The snow hole created the lower amounts depicted above.

BTW... the snow hole is now a butterfly ;)

RAX_0.png

21 minutes ago, Regan said:

158301AF-039A-4D8E-B350-877E6F3DAE85.jpegNws said doh!  We were wrong. 

No clue what they are looking at.  The band sw of us has already produced 3-5", we will not get 2-3".  We won't see an inch in the majority of Wake Co.  Maybe the far SE part and maybe the far NW part once the coastal get's cranking.

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

they are in reaction mode, I suspect Goldsboro ends up with a might bit more than 1-2" just SW of them they already have 2-3" down....this thing is just now getting cranked up there is still 4-5 hrs of this left for you guys and 8-10 hrs for us down here at least.....

You're looking good where you're at. I got a feeling Greenville will remember this for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Solak said:

That's total snow 4PM to 7AM tomorrow. The snow hole created the lower amounts depicted above.

BTW... the snow hole is now a butterfly ;)

RAX_0.png

Lol. Actually that makes a lot of sense, and fits the current radar presentation. I should have known that could be a factor.

Now we just need to get rid of that stupid butterfly. :P

3 minutes ago, packbacker said:

No clue what they are looking at.  The band sw of us has already produced 3-5", we will not get 2-3".  We won't see an inch in the majority of Wake Co.  Maybe the far SE part and maybe the far NW part once the coastal get's cranking.

I guess they are smarter than us? 

Just now, packbacker said:

Dunno man that snow hole fills in and that SW band merges with this influx of moisture from the coastal working in....I think you guys are good for 2-3" probably easily....this radar loop should be encouraging you guys..

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=RAX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

3 minutes ago, thess said:

(Is anyone in the Triangle, including Durham, seeing anything? I'll go check the Obs thread again but it's been dominated by GA, SC and bickering/QQ today.)

I live right by the Southpoint Mall - flurries right now.

Going to get completely blanked here.  It doesn’t look like the first real snowflake will fall here.  Radar falling apart upstream.  I mean the band to the west will rotate through around midnight, but it will be falling apart when it does.  It’s very sad and disappointing.  Just a little bit of snow falling from the sky is apparently too much to ask for anymore.

Archived