joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

You might get that moonlit snow walk after all CR. :snowing:

Perhaps this slp is getting organized and bombing out a little ahead of schedule. 1002 now in the Atlantic.

We can hope.  If we got 2", that would pretty much be enough.  We don't want to see the short range trend back the other way.  I've seen these models do this...go one way for an hour or two and then give it all back.  Would be pretty awesome to see this thing get organized and maintain consolidation and everyone have to play catch-up.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

We can hope.  If we got 2", that would pretty much be enough.  We don't want to see the short range trend back the other way.  I've seen these models do this...go one way for an hour or two and then give it all back.  Would be pretty awesome to see this thing get organized and maintain consolidation and everyone have to play catch-up.

If indeed it is a real trend the NAM should pick up on it next run. The RAP has been trending better past few runs so might be a new trend.

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

HRRR Kuchera and RAP, both very similar.

HRRR is a painful miss, 5" 10 miles away.  Amazing to see the models bring 3-4" line right to the east side of Wake Co, can't help but laugh.

Awesome.  Now let me show you something:

15z:

15z.thumb.png.a8b20e4cf09b1ed8d293b46be773944d.png

18z:

18z.thumb.png.d1e41b17ca0318000d6c00593c97a4a6.png

As long as the HRRR isn't tricking us and we continue to get two maybe three more of these trends, you're good.

3 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

New NAM looks better so far with slower, stronger and further SW SLP at hour 6.

Yes, looks better.  No double barrel look and is further west.  I'd imagine the hi-res nam will look a lot better.

2 minutes ago, rduwx said:

Yes, looks better.  No double barrel look and is further west.  I'd imagine the hi-res nam will look a lot better.

The new NAM looks a TON better with the surface low.  Consolidated and stronger and a tick southwest at hr 11 (valid 05z).  Actually is stronger and much, much farther west than the 18z HRRR valid for the same period.  But there is zero change in the precip.  That seems weird.  This is the 12k Nam, by the way.

Archived