Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brad P just released a vid and seemed to have increased totals further west..basically splits RDU in half 2-4 inches on the east side and 1-2 inches on the west side. in his first map he had RDU getting flurries. will be interesting how this thing unfolds

1 minute ago, wxdawg10 said:

Brad P just released a vid and seemed to have increased totals further west..basically splits RDU in half 2-4 inches on the east side and 1-2 inches on the west side. in his first map he had RDU getting flurries. will be interesting how this thing unfolds

yup.  he seems confident its goin to snow in this area...just doesnt think its gonna be much

2 minutes ago, sctvman said:

Dave Williams (local Charleston meteorologist) just RTed a Mesoscale Discussion saying there was going to be heavy freezing rain for the next few hours for the entire SC coast for the next few hours before the changeover to all snow.

So difficult to predict how stubborn the warm nose will be. The sooner we changeover the more snow we get. I certainly would rather have the snow than this ice we're getting now.

7 minutes ago, cmh90 said:

There is obviously a lot of bias for Raleigh here because a lot of members are from there but could anyone here update me what the coast is looking like? Have expected snow totals stayed the same, increased or decreased?

Monitoring from DC but looks like 4-8 is a safe bet for Little Washington 

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Monitoring from DC but looks like 4-8 is a safe bet for Little Washington 

Thank you. My local news stations have been pretty quiet about this storm and kind of downplaying it and I’m trying to learn here but a lot of the more complex stuff just goes over my head. 

20 minutes ago, cmh90 said:

There is obviously a lot of bias for Raleigh here because a lot of members are from there but could anyone here update me what the coast is looking like? Have expected snow totals stayed the same, increased or decreased?

I think you're in a good spot.  If I were making a call for that area, I'd go with 3 to 5 inches.  I do think mixing issues is what's going to keep your totals down.  Good luck.

22 minutes ago, cmh90 said:

This is a decent simulation from the RGEM model.  IMO you are going to fight some warm nosing there (warm air moving in aloft)...so, I'd go with some light icing (frz rain) and then transitioning to some light snow & sleet accumulations

1VV1kSu.gif

Archived