• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

So heres sign #1 that this is going to overperform..  Odessa & Midland, TX are seeing snow right now, and its been snowing for the last 2-3 hours.  Per Midland NWS twitter some areas have a dusting.  No models showed this, not even the 12z NAM 3km or the most recent HRRR run.  They showed a blip of snow possible in Central TX,  but nothing in far West TX.  Thought that was interesting.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Precipitation fields moving west a little, but overall the LP hasn't really moved west.

One theme is emerging, the globals are playing catch-up to the higher resolution models. In normal cases, this would be a strong indicator that the final track and strength has not been determined yet. Trust the short term high res models. They have a better handle on what is happening with this evolving pattern.

1 minute ago, Hvward said:

So heres sign #1 that this is going to overperform..  Odessa & Midland, TX are seeing snow right now, and its been snowing for the last 2-3 hours.  Per Midland NWS twitter some areas have a dusting.  No models showed this, not even the 12z NAM 3km or the most recent HRRR run.  They showed a blip of snow possible in Central TX,  but nothing in far West TX.  Thought that was interesting.

What kind of dewpoints were we talking out there? Were they a little more moist to support this?

I lived close to the Permian Basin in San Angelo, TX. If you think people in NC can't drive in snow, carry your happy butt to West TX when it snows and take a look at people that really can't drive in snow.

26 minutes ago, jjwxman said:

The 16z HRRR may be on to something at the end of it's run blowing up convection in Northern Florida. None of the Global models have this feature:

HRRRSE_prec_radar_018.png

If I didn't know any better, just looking at that radar presentation, I would swear that there is a low trying to form in the Gulf. 

14 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

What kind of dewpoints were we talking out there? Were they a little more moist to support this?

Temp of 23 degrees right now In Odessa with a dew point of 14 degrees.  HRRR & Nam 3k seemed to model the dew point correctly for this point in time, the precipitation is just absent.  I do however believe that dew points will be a little warm then forecasted, widening the baroclinic zone.

1 minute ago, Hvward said:

Temp of 23 degrees right now In Odessa with a dew point of 14 degrees.  HRRR & Nam 3k seemed to model the dew point correctly for this point in time, the precipitation is just absent.  I do however believe that dew points with be a little warm than forecasted, widen the baroclinic zone.

Thank you for the response! Good trends indeed.

6 minutes ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

Things are getting very very intriguing. Gonna have to stay with this until the very end.

AMEN! I am watching this to the end. If my area does not see anything, then I will be happy to see how this all ends up and HAPPY for our Brothers & Sisters on the Coast/Sandhill areas! 

7 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

For the triangle, I would like to see that SLP around Hatteras.

One more shift left to Hatteras will require a surface LP to initiate in the GM.  I just don't see how this can keep jogging 75 miles west over and over again if the primary LP fires off the coast of GA/FL. (I'm learning so please educate me)

2 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Temp of 23 degrees right now In Odessa with a dew point of 14 degrees.  HRRR & Nam 3k seemed to model the dew point correctly for this point in time, the precipitation is just absent.  I do however believe that dew points with be a little warm than forecasted, widen the baroclinic zone.

Wouldn't that insinuate that all layers were saturate to make it to the ground, where the global models are handling incorrectly? Will it make it back to you? :)

9 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

If I didn't know any better, just looking at that radar presentation, I would swear that there is a low trying to form in the Gulf. 

I saw that too. Mind you, it's just one model one. But I am intrigued, especially now. If we did see a low form in the GOM, wouldn't that put more parts of GA, SC and NC in the game? Or is the lp too far south to make a difference? 

6 minutes ago, CLTwx said:

Wouldn't that insinuate that all layers were saturate to make it to the ground, where the global models are handling incorrectly? Will it make it back to you? :)

Looking back at yesterdays 12z run of the 3km NAM and Dew points around the area of Odessa, TX where forecasted to be around 8 degrees at this time.. so looks like it busted by 5+ degrees 24 hours out.  I guess we'll see.

19 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

One more shift left to Hatteras will require a surface LP to initiate in the GM.  I just don't see how this can keep jogging 75 miles west over and over again if the primary LP fires off the coast of GA/FL. (I'm learning so please educate me)

Yep, will be hard.  This is 24-30 hours from Atlantic low forming.  Need this due south of Charleston not ILM.  We will see if there is a miracle...doubt it though.   Still, 990 low there is big  

download_model-en-087-0_modez_2018010212

Archived