Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

Take your metric system like a big boy. 

I think 27MM=1in

Ha nice.  Then I'm probably not calculating it right.  It's like a 6hr average in mm.  So I don't know.  The first panel had .1 units, the next frame had .25 units, and the third frame had .1 units, whatever that means.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Can't remember from my more-engaged winter tracking days the reliability of the HRRR, but we are coming into its range. Shows a much more western extent of precip than even the hi-res short-term models with snow breaking out as far west as Panama City at 9z tomorrow. 

hrrr.png

Do you think we come close this event? 

http://www.weather.gov/ilm/christmassnow1989

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

They always go very conservative.   Fishel was very very skeptical of the storm has January and ended up being right.  

He was very skeptical of the Jan 2000 storm too and kept having to up the totals more and more till it was we don't know how much it's gonna be. It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

He's going to wait on the euro.

You always know they're not sure when they're not going into a whole lot of detail. Usually as they get more certain they explain what they're looking at that shows whatever they're forecasting.

Greg has some weenie in him, he'll explain the letdown if/when it comes lol

Just now, Steven_1974 said:

He was very skeptical of the Jan 2000 storm too and kept having to up the totals more and more till it was we don't know how much it's gonna be. It is what it is.

I went to bed after seeing him say "trace to an inch for us here in Raleigh" - 20 inches later well it was all history!

1 minute ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

You always know they're not sure when they're not going into a whole lot of detail. Usually as they get more certain they explain what they're looking at that shows whatever they're forecasting.

Especially this dang close to an event. 

Just now, Tar Heel Snow said:

You won't find a met that's more of an expert on NC weather than GF. He is a big fan of the EURO for good reasons.

3 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

That's a great forecast for what we know at this point. They can always ramp up later today or tomorrow, but would not want to put out higher amounts and cause panic.

I was reading a piece yesterday on their website  from about 8 Years ago and he was reflecting on Jan 2000. “I’d rather be right than first.” I respect that.

Archived