• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

Regarding the lack of copious moisture; we all know how dry this cold air mass is, and it has been moving out over the ocean for days now as well. So there is not as much available moisture on the ocean surface for the slp to work with. This is my hypothesis, Mets or others please correct me if I am wrong about it.

Looking at other sources of moisture, perhaps some large scale transport from the tropics could help if available. Looking at current water vapor to see if it could be identified. Anybody got a good link for the hemispheric water vapor loop? Here is the continental US, you can see our upper level energy players on the field http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_US/animwv.html

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, 4 1/2 years ago I moved from N.C. to Ft. Walton Beach. That next winter I started honking about an ice storm there and they all thought I was crazy.

Now I'm in Tallahassee and I'm honking about a historic winter storm and they all think I'm crazy.

Maybe if I move to Miami I can singlehandedly cure us of global warming?

RGEM/NAM show a once in a century winter event for Tallahassee -- .2-.5 of QPF -- all frozen. Unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

It is so funny these last few years how the dividing line sets up right through Wake Co.  East, west, north, south, it doesn't matter  It's crazy.

Yep for east and west based storms, Wake tends to be the battle ground. I may be watching you get a few inches while I see flurries or nothing. Pay back time....

I know piedmont wants to see more movement west but keep in mind the more it moves the higher the winds for those of us living on the water! As it stands in Wilmington, Home Depot and Lowes are sold out of space heaters. If we get more Freezing rain to start followed by heavy snow(for us over 3-4inches) and strong winds could be a recipe for major power outages in freezing cold Thursday and Friday.  Hoping everyone sees mainly white flakes but growing concerned about ice.  

Archived