Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

1 hour ago, HKY_WX said:

I will say this. Late phasers are historically difficult to model. See the 2010 Christmas storm, Jan 2000, Dec 2000 bust. THis is a dynamic setup. You'd be dumb to not follow this one until the last hour. 

Wasnt the christmas storm well ots 48 hrs prior to the onset and it took a huge jump NW on 0z on the 25th??

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the trough is so positive tilt, good shortwave phasing has to occur over Bama/GA in order to get the trough to neutral to get good precip back into parts of the central Carolinas. The 00z NAM went away from the phasing.  Not having the phasing means less precip in coastal areas as well, but less of a warm nose, so its better for places like Wilmington and New Bern

28 minutes ago, bess said:

Wasnt the christmas storm well ots 48 hrs prior to the onset and it took a huge jump NW on 0z on the 25th??

Totally different setup.  Low developed in the Gulf of Mexico, exited NE Florida.  The 500mb way behind it and closed off at 500mb and was able to pull the storm north.  

2010122512.gif

2010122600.gif

2010122612.gif

2010122700.gif

Samuel Roback on Twitter said this tonight:

With all the talk of phasing, for what it's worth, the RAP has been trending towards a more separated northern and southern stream all day. Would allow our trough to acquire a more negative tilt and throw precip farther west (Raleigh). We'll see

phasing phasing schmasing basically. 

1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

Insane monster storm on nam and euro from a slp and stream phase perspective.... If these pressures are anywhere close to right holy cow..... this one will be fun to follow regardless... going to be tough for the mods to handle the dynamics

I missed the Euro.  Is it in line with the NAM?

7 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Insane monster storm on nam and euro from a slp and stream phase perspective.... If these pressures are anywhere close to right holy cow..... this one will be fun to follow regardless... going to be tough for the mods to handle the dynamics

RGEM is a monster as well. The upper level dynamics are incredible especially after hour 42. For NC, this definitely looks to be Raleigh and eastward storm. I'm thinking someone gets up to 18 inches along the I-95 corridor out of this when it's said and done.

12 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah a blend of the hi res and globals is a solid thumping for eastern NC.....kinda rooting for the RGEM and no mixing issues, though in Dec 2000 we had mixing and still got 12-15".

I’ve been looking forward to a storm like this for a long time. I’d be happy with 4 inches but it would be pretty awesome to see 12-15”.

1 hour ago, HKY_WX said:

You holding onto hope that we see some? Im to your west in Granite Falls!

1 hour ago, HKY_WX said:

Not as far west but it bombs out again, lending credence to the nam.

I am with you Brandon. This needs to be watched to the final hour. I have a hard time believing that if this thing bombs out like it is showing that more Precip will not spread further west. I know we would not see no where near the amounts that closer to the coast would see, but I have a hard time believing that we will not get something out of this. I guess it all depends on how this baby tracks. I know we have some super dry air to overcome as well! I am jonesing for another February 2004 type storm brother. HAHAHA

1 hour ago, HKY_WX said:

lol

1 minute ago, downeastnc said:

I would feel better about the hi res 10-15" outputs if the globals were more than 2-4"...that's a large difference in the two camps.....MHX calling for 3-4" for MBY so that's pretty good I will take that all day.

You're in a good spot for this one.

Archived