Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

27 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

958 mb. Blizzard for RDU east if this is right.

Untitled.png

Would probably last a few more frames as well and we would see totals in the 15- 20" range over most of I-95 to Hwy 17 corridor since the totals are already pushing a 6-12" when this sets up and I imagine snow rates would be ridiculous....that 958 is suspect as hell though realistically its probably 975ish which would fall in line with the other models. 

MHX NWS first briefing 

http://www.weather.gov/mhx/winter

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Would probably last a few more frames as well and we would see totals in the 15- 20" range over most of I-95 to Hwy 17 corridor since the totals are already pushing a 6-12" when this sets up and I imagine snow rates would be ridiculous....that 958 is suspect as hell though realistically its probably 975ish which would fall in line with the other models. 

MHX NWS first briefing 

http://www.weather.gov/mhx/winter

958 low is insanely suspect. Strengthens 41 mb in 12 hours somehow. Lol

AKQ AFD...

Latest 01/12Z models are into fairly good agreement with the pattern, though some notable differences persist. The ECWMF continues to be a little more aggressive at bringing deep moisture and therefore higher chances for pcpn to the local area while The GFS is slightly driest/farther offshore. The 12Z NAM had some peculiar secondary band NW of the main axis of precip along the coast (and was showing significant accumulating snow into the Piedmont). The 18Z NAM has genly gone away from this idea. Ultimately, will depend on how rapidly the northern stream and southern stream mid/upper level flow can phase, but its beginning to look as if at least SE 1/2 of the CWA will receive significant precip from late wed aftn/evening through Thu morning. Forecast is mainly a blend of the GFS/ECMWF which now brings a period of likely to Cat PoPs (60-80%) into NE NC and SE/eastern VA mainly by Wed evening, gradually shifting off to the NE as the sfc low further intensifies offshore wed night/Thu. Sfc dew pts and therefore very dry air looks to be hard to dislodge farther to the NW, so would anticipate a sharp cutoff in precipitation across NW 1/2 to 1/3 of CWA. Highs Wed mainly in the mid- upper 30s, possibly around 40 far SE. Critical thicknesses support all snow inland, to a changeover to rain or rain/snow mix along the SE coast Wed early evening before a change back to all snow. Mainly a 5th period event, so too early for a watch, but HWO mentions this potential storm and will continue to closely monitor trends on this system. First cut at snow accumulations favor highest amounts over interior NE NC/SE VA and the eastern shore (approximately ASJ to PHF to WAL). Most of this occurring from 00Z to 12Z Thu. Very little model guidance depicts higher snow amounts west of I-95 (even the ECMWF would support little to no snow amounts in the Piedmont). Lows Wed night mainly in the 20s, except upper teens NW. Drying from WSW to ENE on Thu , and will have high chc to likely PoPs until early aftn on the eastern shore, tapered to a dry fcst across SW/W 1/2 of the CWA. Windy and cold with highs mainly ranging from the upper 20s to lower 30s.

I'm still not sold on this one for the RDU area with the euro and gfs showing the further east solution.  I've been nam'd way too many times in the past to trust it.  I know it's been better since the upgrade but still have a hard time trusting it...LOL!

12 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Got a feeling this thing is getting ready to stop coming west and stay close to where it is now... Eastern Sections, this looks to be your storm!

This is very premature and as it might be right we have scene recently some huge shifts west just 24 hours before go time. As I hope yall down east get hit good but we are still days away and as pack pointed out the 3rd wave has not even entered the conus yet. 

The GEPS has a stronger atlantic ridge over the GEFS/EPS, that is definitely helping keep the PV low further west along with the SLP.  That is one feature that inside 48 hours has helped the NW trend over the past few winters...happened painfully last January, and helped a few weeks ago.

If we can get the NAM timing on the SW's and the GEM handling of the atlantic...:weenie:

JArKMjG.gif

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Yes sir agree. But this is short range or close to it.  Can't just dismiss the GFS even if we want to.  Can't just accept the meso models...you know w the drill.  0z should be helpful.

All the players will be over the US RAOB network by 00z. (Via Eskimo Joe in MA forum)

0z runs tonight are going to be the most important. Be interesting to see if the over amplification of energy piece #3 as SN_Lover mentioned will hold true, or if it will come across weaker. 0z should decide it's fate.

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

High Res NAM bringing the precip inland more than 12k. With the upper level look, I think that's a better representation.

nam3km_ref_frzn_seus_51.png

Now that would just be cruel to us western peeps! That is pretty impressive though for intercoastal plain. Need that low to form off Miami then hug the FL coast and slam into Charleston, then we'd be in bidness!

Archived