SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The setup is pretty much ideal for GSO east from what the NAM is showing. The only issue is the degree of cold dry air in place. The cutoff line is going to be PAINFUL. Per the 3KM NAM , Raleigh is heavy snow while it's cloudy in GSO. Not really buying that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Great AFD out of TLH. Got to love the mid range starting with "Oh boy....".  http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=TAE&issuedby=TAE&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Hey, I know that guy!  Or at least I did, in high school...

CHS is playing it low-key so far:

Tuesday through Thursday: Arctic high pressure to persist with a strong upper disturbance expected to move through Wednesday which will drive surface cyclogenesis off the Southeast U.S. coast. There remains some uncertainty regarding how close the low and associated moisture get to southeast SC/GA. For now we have leaned toward the drier GFS/ECMWF solutions compared to the wetter NAM but still have introduced some snow/sleet accumulations of around 1-3 inches, mainly along the SC coast and extending farther inland into Berkeley County toward Lake Moultrie. This matches fairly well with WPC`s snowfall forecast. At this time we are leaning toward the colder solution which would be more snow/sleet compared to freezing rain but all weather types cannot be ruled out at this time depending on the exact track of the low and evolution of the atmospheric temp/moisture profile.

Just now, packbacker said:

No it didn't, not for NC it didn't.  Not saying it's right...but it didn't.

5Ct0P6Q.gif

Pack, to Blue Ridge’s defense, the upper levels at 500 are thee only good thing that happened on this run. It should’ve translated better on the surface but it’s obv the Nam being the Nam. Everything looked even more improved basically from 51-63 hours. It does it again and you would expect to see marked improvement on the surface at some point.

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

Pack, to Blue Ridge’s defense, the upper levels at 500 are thee only good thing that happened on this run. It should’ve translated better on the surface but it’s obv the Nam being the Nam. Everything looked even more improved basically from 51-63 hours. It does it again and you would expect to see marked improvement on the surface at some point.

No it didn't...the PV low was much more suppressive and shunts it east.  See my post a page back and Wow just posted on it too.

nesday and Wednesday night: This remains the period of interest
regarding potential snow associated with a coastal low that will
rapidly develop and quickly deepen during the day and Wednesday
night as it lifts northward off the coast of the Outer Banks. There
has not been much change in the thinking regarding this potential
storm despite the 12z NAM coming in with an apocalyptic solution
that has the surface low closer to the coast and is forecasting
several inches of snow over our area with unreasonable amounts of
QPF.  This NAM solution was deemed an outlier and not given much
consideration given the other operational deterministic guidance
which has shown reasonable run to run consistency.  The latest GFS
looks very similar to the 00z run and keeps moisture generally east
of the forecast area with the surface low further offshore and the
bulk of the precipitation along and off the coast. The 12z Canadian
and ECMWF had a very similar solution to GFS and are in good
agreement so have decided to keep the current forecast in tact with
slight chance of snow along the far eastern Midland counties but not
expecting any accumulation at this time. Thermal profiles are such
that any precipitation that falls would likely be snow due to
wetbulb temps well below zero and diabatic cooling effects.

NWS cola

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

No it didn't...the PV low was much more suppressive and shunts it east.  See my post a page back and Wow just posted on it too.

My bottom line is the kicker. You have alluded to this in previous posts. That thing digs anymore south and it will help to lift this storm more north than east. 3k Nam people are posting looks darn good. I hope you get smoked dude.

13 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

The setup is pretty much ideal for GSO east from what the NAM is showing. The only issue is the degree of cold dry air in place. The cutoff line is going to be PAINFUL. Per the 3KM NAM , Raleigh is heavy snow while it's cloudy in GSO. Not really buying that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

For real...same situation here. Taken these pasts two runs literally, heavy snow is falling 50 miles away (maybe less than that) while not a flake falls here. The dry air below 850mb is killing us...although the nam is showing enough RH for a few hours here and in the southern upstate that i would think at least a little light snow reaches the surface but it will be still be a challenge with surface dewpoints so low. 

Although there is a lot of dry air to ovecome, i wouldn't be surprised if there is at least a narrow zone of light snow that fall with the upper level shortwave as it crosses through alabama and ga . . the nam has hinted at it at times and there has been a few ensembles showing the same on the various models. 

24 minutes ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

I guess I will take my cold rain here in Wilmington. NAM seems locked into that at least. I am hoping you guys in GA and SC score big along with NE NC. NAM seems locked into this solution.

Weak Warmnose "forecasted" by KILM NWS, Dynamics will over come this fairly easy..

Hopefully there is a Warm nose at all...

See the AFD I posted.

MHX

Updated as of 300 PM Monday...

Confidence continues to increase that we will see snow across 
Eastern North Carolina Wednesday into Thursday.  The 12Z guidance 
continues to adjust a bit but overall remains in excellent 
agreement. It is still important to remember that with the rain/snow 
line intersecting our forecast area, we will likely be dealing with 
a large west to east snow gradient.  Football may be a game of 
inches with weather being a game of miles.  For our first estimate 
of snowfall amounts visit us on social media (NWSMoreheadcity), or 
head to weather.gov/mhx and scroll down and click on the winter