joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys I’m really excited for the coastal folks hoping myrtle and Hilton Head get buried but in the near term why is there no discussion regarding snow/sleet showing up on the NAM for north/central Ga tmrw night? If I remember correctly the NAM has been doing okay recently inside 48 hours. 

*secretly wishes NC was in Mid Atlantic forum*

13 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

People are still tracking this system? Lol. Why? It’s over. Move on. 

It's not. If it were two days away, I'd be done with it. But there are many favorables in the pattern. It's just a matter of the s/ws hooking up in one of several workable configurations. One slight eastward shift on the models is not a big deal yet. This isn't like the 29th storm, where the models sheared everything out. We don't have a sheared out nothing system. We have a system that will phase at some point, it's just a matter of when. An earlier deeper phase would give us a storm. That's entirely possible at this point with the inevitable NW trend. Question is just how far west it gets.

GFS looks locked in...subtle changes past 24 hours.  Not sure what changes we can get to make this closer...a little taller ridge and maybe the NE low moving out a little quicker is all I can think of.  It seems like models have tried several different combinations of timing on these h5 lows and they all result in the same thing...a miss.  Though NAVGEM has been trying...it gets an A for effort.

hKyGy2U.gif

@Wow @packbacker you guys beat me to the punch. The 12z Nam is a beauty on 5h. Greatly improved from the 6z Nam. Curious to see if it keeps trending. Kind of got turned off last night with everything, however you have the 6z Navy, NAVGEM and now 12z Nam showing a more amped solution, which is all still viable and possible at this stage. 

2 minutes ago, Wow said:

By 84, sfc low is captured and bombing off the GA coast.  NAM looking like a full phase but needs to be quick with it to pull in the precip further inland.

Yes it looks beautiful at 500. I feel like we just need it to setup correctly and then look for the correct depiction of the surface later. You know full phase is going to induce some serious fireworks and qpf production once the storm starts chugging up the coast. 

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Just the southern vort itself looks good at 78 but you can see that energy out in the atlantic, just going to pull everything east.

get_orig_img.php?model=nam&run_time=12z&

Pack at 84 since it went neutral and full phase mode, it looks to be sucking that moisture in the Atlantic back west northwestward 

18 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Pack at 84 since it went neutral and full phase mode, it looks to be sucking that moisture in the Atlantic back west northwestward 

Not quite a full phase...3 pieces of energy and it's trying to phase to that atlantic energy, which we don't want.

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_084_0500.gif

33 minutes ago, Wow said:

By 84, sfc low is captured and bombing off the GA coast.  NAM looking like a full phase but needs to be quick with it to pull in the precip further inland.  At very least, coastal areas def in play.

it's not terribly crazy to see the coast of the carolinas get something but it would be pretty amazing if northeast florida/jacksonville area gets sleet/snow/freezing rain..which the icon, nam show (and canadian/gfls also  shows potential...especially if precip starts early enough)...with the euro being very close to it. 

Archived