SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 30th 2017 Clipper

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confectioners here.  We had the chem pre-treatments here in central Rockland County as well.  I think the temps are too low for it to have much effect.  Actually I prefer the snow and not some liquid freezing to ice at night.  Studded snows are going back on the car this morning before our 65 mile birthday party trip....  looks nice.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, SnoSki14 said:

I don't see how the ratios would be greater than 15:1 as anything above that is extremely rare around here. As someone stated, lower temps don't equal higher ratios. 

This may end up being an inch at best but with how dry the air is and the amount of virga likely, it may only be a dusting (>0.5"). 

Purely based on where you are. Right now in Kings Park, roads and roofs are covered completely. Grass is getting there. Probably 1/4” to 1/2 on surfaces. Virgo not an issue here. I think minimum ratios sit at 15:1 easily. 25:1 probably not likely I agree. 

9 minutes ago, strgazr27 said:

Purely based on where you are. Right now in Kings Park, roads and roofs are covered completely. Grass is getting there. Probably 1/4” to 1/2 on surfaces. Virgo not an issue here. I think minimum ratios sit at 15:1 easily. 25:1 probably not likely I agree. 

A few spots may pick up more than in inch but radar and current snowfall is very light. My location is definitely not seeing an inch unless the rates pick up substantially. 

Pouring very light snow here, lol. We have 3/8" on the ground and yes, it's slick to walk and drive on (at least local roads; will be venturing out later on bigger roads). 18F and I won't be surprised if it doesn't get above 20F now that we have that radiation-destroying snow cover on the ground. :>)

Could definitely see 3" totals from 195 southward, especially near the coast. Will still consider it a pleasant surprise to get more than maybe an inch or an inch and a half up here in Metuchen. 

I’m on the LIRR to the city for snow removal and there is a noticeable difference in snow amounts rates and type as you get to about the queens line. At my house in wantagh we had medium size flakes and a solid coating covering all surfaces. In queens it’s barely noticeable pixie dust with a dusting. So we were experiencing some ocean enhancement 

25 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Radar not looking great to me-if anything the snow looks to be settling further south in NJ and there isn't much building in behind it. I guess I'll upgrade my dusting to a coating now. 

Fire Island and the immediate south shore from about Patchogue over to Smith Point has been the focus of some pretty good radar returns.  Radar pattern does have a little bit of an IVT look to it with an underlayment of some ocean enhancement.

Snowfall rates look to be picking up in your hood shortly, but I think there's an all out snowstorm in progress on Fire Island.

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Pouring very light snow here, lol. We have 3/8" on the ground and yes, it's slick to walk and drive on (at least local roads; will be venturing out later on bigger roads). 18F and I won't be surprised if it doesn't get above 20F now that we have that radiation-destroying snow cover on the ground. :>)

Could definitely see 3" totals from 195 southward, especially near the coast. Will still consider it a pleasant surprise to get more than maybe an inch or an inch and a half up here in Metuchen. 

Actual moderate snow right now, with decent sized flakes - best snow of the day the past 15 minutes and we're now up to 3/4" as of noon, with 1/4" in the last 15 minutes - if we can just keep that up for a bit longer we'll get to the 1" mark before things lighten up and maybe end, although looking like we might have some intermittent snow showers in the afternoon, so maybe we can eke out a few more tenths of an inch.  Always thought we were going to get 1-1.5", so I'd be happy with that. 

It is pretty gorgeous out there and I did just come back from some errands and any untreated surfaces are snow covered and slippery, while the treated county/state roads in this area are mostly just wet. Not a big deal here, but be careful on the sidewalks and local roads.  Reports of 2-3" south of 276 in PA and up to 2" in NJ south of 195 in some locations - was always expected to get more there.  Generally looking like 0.5-1.5" elsewhere.  

Archived