Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-31 Snow Systems

Hoosier

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I feel like this cold air is really killing these systems. Sure ratios are 20:1, but the cold air just doesn't offer good moisture to begin with.

That and further east there is too much confluence, so most of the systems get shred apart as they come east.

I am excited about the prospect of these systems here. Some of the models have become more aggressive about the Friday system today between the 00z and 12z model runs, but forecasters are being understandably cautious about that one probably for model inconsistency and reasons mentioned above on this thread. If we are super lucky we could end up with a cool 6 inches but my hopes are on 2-3 by Sat.

What we do get is being added to the 1.5" we got on Saturday night, most of which is still on the ground just fine. What little has disappeared was probably from evaporation

11 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Most interesting threat here is the lake effect set up over the weekend for the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan. GFS has since backed off a bit on the intensity of its signal, but the Euro is now on board with a period of lake effect.

Yeah, been posting about it in the LES thread.  It's early but thermodynamics look favorable for a band of heavy snow somewhere.  

What are your thoughts on the chances of this actually verifying?
Hoosier has some great posts over on LES thread which I concur with.Thermodynamic parameters will be very good, so it makes sense that there will be heavy rates wherever the band or bands focus. I just think there's a lot of uncertainty with the wind field - it looks a bit messy owing to the likelihood of mesolow formation. So until we get a bit closer, confidence is lower on things like areas most impacted and how large of an area affected, duration etc. But overall, the setup appears to be a favorable one for producing significant amounts somewhere. For good reference, see the 00z GEM

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, ConvectiveIA said:

We got moderate snow coming down with a fresh inch on top of what was already there. Started about 2 hours and 15 minutes ago and will probably keep coming down until midnight.

Nice, my brother lives in Des Moines too and said it was snowing a bit heavier then he expected about 30min ago. Flakes should be flying up here for the commute tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

So did the GFS and Canadian.  Tonight's system is pretty meager, but the second wave is suddenly looking better for my area... perhaps a few inches of fluff.

GFS has trended towards the Euro (imagine that) with Friday's clipper.  Looking pretty good for us.  Soundings look really nice as well, with a deep zone of dendrite growth, and what looks like pretty good saturation throughout.  Omega is spread out pretty nicely through the zone as well.  I'm thinking ratios will be much better than xmas eve.  

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

GFS has trended towards the Euro (imagine that) with Friday's clipper.  Looking pretty good for us.  Soundings look really nice as well, with a deep zone of dendrite growth, and what looks like pretty good saturation throughout.  Omega is spread out pretty nicely through the zone as well.  I'm thinking ratios will be much better than xmas eve.  

Do you think nam is a northern outlier? Gfs, euro, and gem all seem to be in rather good agreement and our south of where nam is on max amounts

Archived