Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-31 Snow Systems

Hoosier

13 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Extremely inefficiently accumulating pixie dust the entire event thus far. Unless a marked increase in flake size or intensity occurs, areas north of 88 will bust well low. 

The flakes are pretty big in the city, big increase in size in the last 5 minutes. Hopefully same thing will happen by you 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Extremely inefficiently accumulating pixie dust the entire event thus far. Unless a marked increase in flake size or intensity occurs, areas north of 88 will bust well low. 

Dust here as well.  Looks like Ottawa to Pontiac getting hit nicely at the moment.

7 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

The flakes are pretty big in the city, big increase in size in the last 5 minutes. Hopefully same thing will happen by you 

All dust at work by O'Hare. I can't imagine flake size is much better a few miles away. We've got a theme for snowstorms events lately.

2 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Tough to swallow when things look solid for good ratios. I could understand if we were talking GHD type winds where flakes are being shredded, but the models keep missing a bit on the soundings. 

There were signs yesterday of flake size being a potential problem, especially outside of the core of the snow band.  

Seems like this season getting nice fat dendrites has been hard to come by. As much as I love clippers I would love to see a classic panhandle hook low plow through here with some blizzard conditions and crazy snow rates. But so far this clipper has been nice. Been in that narrow band between I74 and I80. Flake size has been decent at times but overall small but it has been coming down at a moderate pace

1 hour ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Problem is this band hasn't shifted south much all day. Eventually it should. But yea honestly models didn't do well with this

They always struggle with events that rely on saturation, as was the case for those near the gradient in IA/IL.

The GFS/GGEM especially failed with it, while the NAM's and their sharp gradient/more northern placement of the heavier snowfall axis will win out. As they should, since that's in their wheel-house. 

14 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Wow, remarkable size increase in the past hour here in Davenport. Heavy snow now w/ very low visibility. Big fat flakes for about the past 20-30 minutes! 

Seeing several LSRs of 4-4.5" down there. With that enhanced band still overhead(but departing) and a few more hours of light/decent snow, you guys should cash in 6" easy.

2 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Seeing several LSRs of 4-4.5" down there. With that enhanced band still overhead(but departing) and a few more hours of light/decent snow, you guys should cash in 6" easy.

Yea, this has really been a very nice event down here near I-80. A little better than I expected to be honest.

Archived