SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 28-31 Snow Systems

Hoosier

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow's clipper looking very good on 12z NAM runs from eastern IA, QCA, north central IL, west central and south Chicago metro into northern and central IN. Very deep DGZ, good lift from a stronger modeled mid-level wave through the upper half of the deep DGZ. Unlike Christmas Eve, this should actually have higher than average ratios. Liking the short range trends for this one for a swath of mid to higher end advisory to locally lower end warning criteria snow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

Hard to imagine a north trend in this pattern,.. But then again if it means a miss for CMH and a hit for Detroit I"d never bet against it.

The north trend was a bit surprising with the cold. Detroit is definitely the hot spot for synoptic snow lately, but I cannot see this missing CMH. Realistically, this will give us some more snow, but you should do better.

I saw this posted on that new site.  Last sentence in particular is key, so until someone says otherwise, feel free to post Euro maps from there.

First, we are launching a “Personal Forecaster” service for $10/month or $99/year that will provide a wide variety and always growing selection of weather models and data including ECMWF + EPS, GFS + GEFS, NAM + WRF, Canadian GEPS & GEM & RGEM, HRRR, UKMET, and CFSv2. If there is something obvious missing that you need or want, then Dr. Maue will be happy to code it up and provide it to everyone. You can compare model runs, create animated GIFS and download images to share on social media and blogs including the ECMWF.

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I saw this posted on that new site.  Last sentence in particular is key, so until someone says otherwise, feel free to post Euro maps from there.

First, we are launching a “Personal Forecaster” service for $10/month or $99/year that will provide a wide variety and always growing selection of weather models and data including ECMWF + EPS, GFS + GEFS, NAM + WRF, Canadian GEPS & GEM & RGEM, HRRR, UKMET, and CFSv2. If there is something obvious missing that you need or want, then Dr. Maue will be happy to code it up and provide it to everyone. You can compare model runs, create animated GIFS and download images to share on social media and blogs including the ECMWF.

What site is this for? I'm paying 15 a month now for f5weather

2 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Real nice band swinging through right now. Moderate snow with the best dendrites I've seen from this system with visibility between 1/4 and 1/2 mile. Looks like it should taper through the rest of the day afterwards. Probably have 0.8-1.0" so far, about on target.

Are you in that band in SE Iowa? 

Gino's thoughts on ratios tomorrow

Thermodynamically, forecast soundings do depict the presence of a
deep dendritic growth zone (DGZ), particularly over northern
portions of the CWA. Area with the deepest DGZ over northern CWA
looks to be in area of weaker forcing, largely above the DGZ.
While not as deep, a more favorable juxtapositioning of the
stronger omega with the DGZ could allow for higher ratio/fluffier
snow over the central/southern portions of the CWA. In the area of
heaviest totals, wouldn`t be surprised to see snow:liquid ratios
at or above 20:1. Generally thinking a 2-4" snowfall from I-88/290
south tapering to an inch or so along the WI/IL border. Wouldn`t
rule out isolated totals up to around 5" along/south of the I-80
corridor, particularly if f-gen circulations are stronger/deeper
than currently progged or if SLRs end up higher than forecast.

Archived