• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday December 30 Snow Obs and Disco

SnowGolfBro

Still a few snow flurries coming through my area. I ended up with just over an inch. I just got done shoveling the driveway and this is some of the lightest snow I have ever seen. I dont think a snow shovel full of the stuff weighs 5 pounds. It is just pure pixie dust. Glad to finally get on the board with the rest of our forum.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

No, the job was in Luke.  20 miles to Oakland or the SE side of the lake.  Ultimately, decided that the tenuous nature of jobs in the paper industry (as a whole) and that mill in particular was too great a risk to uproot my family.....despite my desperate longing to live in the Garrett Co. climate.  It was a gut-wrenching decision.  Other than the Verso mill in Luke, and Simon Pierce near Oakland, there certainly isn't much else outside of retail or tourism. 

14 hours ago, WVclimo said:

You were probably aware that Verso is under bankruptcy protection.  They have also been under a lot of scrutiny for polluting the river.  Not sure if they have been sanctioned for that ?  

I haven't been there in years, but when WestVaco had the mill when I was a kid there were days you couldn't visit the town of Luke without feeling sick from the smell.  Hopefully they have at least improved on that since the 70s.  Given everything, I think you made the right decision.

Well, I live close to the 'other' mill town that WestVaco had. We still trudging along, although in last 20 years have gone thru two mergers. Yep, back in 70's (and prior) it was a rotten place. There are days it is still bad, but for the most part you do get used to it and it is 95% better than days of old. I can ALWAYS tell a visitor, they are the ones with the mouth/nose covered or complaining about the smell lol. We may make it down to 'papermill snow' levels on Monday and Tuesday mornings, usually around zero is jackpot for it to happen.

I'm up in Pine Grove PA. Had an inch when we left Manchester around 8am but that last band was just starting and it was going good so I bet it ended being around 2". They have 3" here. Best snowfall seemed to be just north of me in PA in the hills south of Harrisburg. Looked like 3-4" there. Roads sucked the whole way up. 1.5 hour drive took over 3 hours. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm up in Pine Grove PA. Had an inch when we left Manchester around 8am but that last band was just starting and it was going good so I bet it ended being around 2". They have 3" here. Best snowfall seemed to be just north of me in PA in the hills south of Harrisburg. Looked like 3-4" there. Roads sucked the whole way up. 1.5 hour drive took over 3 hours. 

It was 2 here 

24 minutes ago, Fozz said:

It was basically a cartopper here. I didn't bother to measure and now it's probably too late. Oh well.

From the Deep Creek cams it looks like it's still snowing very heavily up there. nj2va is lucky to be there.

I measured 0.5" this morning.  I think you probably did a little better than me.  Looking at the radar loop, it looks like I was just south of some of the better stuff.

It was basically a cartopper here. I didn't bother to measure and now it's probably too late. Oh well.
From the Deep Creek cams it looks like it's still snowing very heavily up there. nj2va is lucky to be there.

Snowing here with tiny pixie dust flakes. As a band comes through, we get dendrites mixed in too. Looking out the windows to the north and can see a nice squall moving in as viz has dropped pretty significantly looking north.

Haven’t measured since 11 but would eyeball that we’re at 6” so far. Wind has really kicked up.

The relentless flurry fest....Clouds have allowed temps to stay below freezing. Hit 31 earlier with sun but have settled at 29 for the past few hours.

We have a good size creek that runs through our property.  It has a few slow deep hole sections that make for great swimming during the summer.  Was pretty surprised yesterday to find the ice is about 2" thick already in those areas.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived