Weathernoob335
Saturday December 30 Snow Obs and Disco

SnowGolfBro

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

Knowledgeable peeps-

is there support for greater than 10:1 ratios? And if so what is the assumed cap for this particular event

Definitely. Omega's are decent enough in the dendritic growth zone. Look at the left side of the sounding. Column is really cold as well. It will be a very dry/fluffy event for those who get the best qpf. I could easily see someone get 1"+ of snow with just .05" LE. The snow on the ground will literally evaporate and not melt too with the extremely dry air mass on the heels. Sublimation conditions. This is what happens to snow in the Rockies. lol

9g5uoTO.jpg

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Definitely. Omega's are decent enough in the dendritic growth zone. Look at the left side of the sounding. Column is really cold as well. It will be a very dry/fluffy event for those who get the best qpf. I could easily see someone get 1"+ of snow with just .05" LE. The snow on the ground will literally evaporate and not melt too with the extremely dry air mass on the heels. Sublimation conditions. This is what happens to snow in the Rockies. lol

9g5uoTO.jpg

Bingo. I've watched 4 inches 'melt' into a damp deck at sons house before not even leaving a puddle.

42 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

9g5uoTO.jpg

Happens up here too. Before someone shoots me I'm not complaining. Really ill take it every time. But often those big numbers you see here are because of 25-1 ratios. It's very dry fluff. And it sublimates and it melts fast the minute any sun hits it. That's why I prefer a wet snow. Couple years ago I got 6" of wet snow and it lasted 10 days otg.  This December I had 5.5" of dry fluff and it was gone in a snap the minute the sun came out even with relatively cold temps. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Happens up here too. Before someone shoots me I'm not complaining. Really ill take it every time. But often those big numbers you see here are because of 25-1 ratios. It's very dry fluff. And it sublimates and it melts fast the minute any sun hits it. That's why I prefer a wet snow. Couple years ago I got 6" of wet snow and it lasted 10 days otg.  This December I had 5.5" of dry fluff and it was gone in a snap the minute the sun came out even with relatively cold temps. 

LOL Hoffman never changes. Now the snow is too fluffy up there on the ridge. 

42 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

All we have gong for us is ratios and prayers.  The rest looks less than good but better than nothing

like bob has said, there's a little more moisture with this storm than other clippers, so maybe the mountains won't act like a total sponge which they have a tendency to do here when there's less than adequate energy/lift.  i'm hoping that's the case at least.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Latest HRRR targets NOVA and Md. Gives me .2 QPF.  I think someone can steal a couple of inches or maybe a little bit more out of this one. I hope that someone is me. I need the emotional boost after getting nothing but screwed so far his year :)

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

Good luck.  At least it's the first model that I can remember seeing this season that didn't put us in the precip minimum.  I'm sure it will end up wrong.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived