Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2018 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp climbed above freezing late yesterday afternoon and it even rained briefly with a rainbow.  Went below freezing around 5 this morning and climbed back above for a few hours this afternoon when the sun came out.  I know it's late January, but I can def see a noticeable shift in the sun angle. Anyway, snowpack took an appreciable hit yesterday and today... Snow depth down to 25". Return to winter around the corner.

Backyard:

IMG_4153.thumb.JPG.656357d48760382d91c2833b9454a9cd.JPG

50 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

wow

ssm_depth.2018012814.0_600_450._13001_5109._12443_5853_dem.shading.i.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.png.e63cebd8dda2d23ba383618e9e2adbcc.png

Pretty crazy to see pretty much that whole area without snow cover this time of year. Not sure there has been a January where we had 3 weekends in a row with little to no snow up at our place at Higgins Lake. Definitely not unusual to have a January thaw up there but having 3 weeks going into 4 with such little snow is. I'm betting winter returns up there in the next week or so and continues well into mid to late March.

58 minutes ago, slow poke said:

Pretty crazy to see pretty much that whole area without snow cover this time of year. Not sure there has been a January where we had 3 weekends in a row with little to no snow up at our place at Higgins Lake. Definitely not unusual to have a January thaw up there but having 3 weeks going into 4 with such little snow is. I'm betting winter returns up there in the next week or so and continues well into mid to late March.

We are just past a week here. They have been quite the screwzone in northern MI this year 

The ole classic January thaw has been in full swing now for a good week. Today by far has been the best, 49 degrees, full sun, and absolutely no wind! Taking my 2 year old to the park and letting him burn off energy lol. 

Appears the south could cash in on yet another snowfall this week lol. 

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We are just past a week here. They have been quite the screwzone in northern MI this year 

Wow, you guys have only been without snow cover down there for a week?Maybe Joger and I should start looking at snowmobiling down river by your area ha ha. I consider snow cover of 6" or more as something I can actually do something with as far as snowmobiling and cross country skiing, any less then that doesn't do anything for me personally.

2 hours ago, slow poke said:

Wow, you guys have only been without snow cover down there for a week?Maybe Joger and I should start looking at snowmobiling down river by your area ha ha. I consider snow cover of 6" or more as something I can actually do something with as far as snowmobiling and cross country skiing, any less then that doesn't do anything for me personally.

I consider snowcover when snow covers the ground. Though yes 6" is a reasonable number for snowmobiling. Haven't had 6" on the ground since Jan 10th.

We're about to wrap up January, the 2nd met winter month of the season.  DVN has had 0.88" of precip this winter (since Dec 1), and MLI 0.93".  Have had 1.03" this winter here.  

Highlights for Jan for here include the coldest temp of -19 from the 1st, and 57 on the 22nd.  Picked up 2.0" of snow this month, and 0.48" of rain.  Also a tenth of freezing rain accumulation.

This is like the days before model watching existed. All this concentrationon late week and the few ragged hundredths of qpf for Monday that no one looked at. As late as yesterday afternoon a 40% chance of snow showers was the forecast for today (chance snow showers werent even in the forecast at all until 2 days ago). Wake up to a WWA for 2-4" with dtx talking of overachieving. Surprises ftw!

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

This is like the days before model watching existed. All this concentrationon late week and the few ragged hundredths of qpf for Monday that no one looked at. As late as yesterday afternoon a 40% chance of snow showers was the forecast for today (chance snow showers werent even in the forecast at all until 2 days ago). Wake up to a WWA for 2-4" with dtx talking of overachieving. Surprises ftw!

I just figured you got your magnet back from the shop and fired it up finally. 

10 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

1-3/2-4

BUFKIT shows some strong lift at H7 intersecting the DGZ. Could get 15:1+ ratios for a couple of hours.

2.0" is definitely possible for Toronto proper. May see upwards of 4.0" if we get some decent deformation bands, let's see! LES has been a saving grace this winter :lol: 

Archived