Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2018 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped down to -10 this morning, again broke another record from 1999. That record was kind of a sitting duck. That wind is fierce today, combined with temps in the single digits, it’s pretty gnarly outside.

Ready for a widescale pattern change. The fact that the Deep South has doubled my snowfall total on the year and has since mid December , and will likely do so until mid January is beyond acceptable. Don’t get me wrong I HATE whining, but 9.5” of a snow in a calendar year and counting is just bad. 

The weak clipper passing nearby has blanketed us with a dense mid-level cloud deck that is keeping temps up so far.  7 here, but just up the river at Sterling it's -2, as they're just outside the edge of the cloud deck.  It'll be interesting watching the temp plummet later this evening when the cloud shield clears.  Should drop a good 10-15 degrees in an hour or so when that happens, and end up down around -12 by morning.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Im off tomorrow and thinking of layering/bundling up and taking an arctic winter walk in the park for some frozen winter scenery. That wind is biting though!

Nice.  I always think it's pretty fun to spend some time outdoors when we get these weather extremes.  Fun to think back on it when it's the opposite season, and remember how it was compared to then.  :D

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

The weak clipper passing nearby has blanketed us with a dense mid-level cloud deck that is keeping temps up so far.  7 here, but just up the river at Sterling it's -2, as they're just outside the edge of the cloud deck.  It'll be interesting watching the temp plummet later this evening when the cloud shield clears.  Should drop a good 10-15 degrees in an hour or so when that happens, and end up down around -12 by morning.

Wow!  Down to -8 there and still 7 here.  That's only about 25 miles northeast of here.  Very impressive.  

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice.  I always think it's pretty fun to spend some time outdoors when we get these weather extremes.  Fun to think back on it when it's the opposite season, and remember how it was compared to then.  :D

Agree! The snowpack even in the most urban areas is still quite fresh looking so I imagine once getting into a park with trees and frozen streams it will be like being in the rural north in mid winter

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Agree! The snowpack even in the most urban areas is still quite fresh looking so I imagine once getting into a park with trees and frozen streams it will be like being in the rural north in mid winter

Nice.  The extreme cold the past week or so has really helped to maintain that fresh look here as well.  Usually after a few days the snow starts to look pretty mangy, but it still looks great.

Expected the cloud deck to get out of here about 3hrs ago, but the clipper is sort of pivoting as it heads southeast and is keeping the clouds overhead.  Still 6 above here, while about 25 miles away it's -10 or colder.  Looks like we won't clear out until just before sunrise.  Temps will likely drop from around 5 above to -10 to -15 in a few hours just in time for sunup.

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice.  The extreme cold the past week or so has really helped to maintain that fresh look here as well.  Usually after a few days the snow starts to look pretty mangy, but it still looks great.

Living in suburbia, the yards always look nice when there is snow on the ground no matter how old it is or melty its getting, but there is plenty of dirty and mangy snow elsewhere. But now even most of the big snowbanks lining all the parking lots and street corners are all fresh white after weeks. This must be what winter in Winnipeg is like lol. The only dirty snow is the right near the edge of the curbs on the busiest streets.

Only 4 days, but lol

MonthTDeptUS.png.a21e58bde79366c4ffdee378f3968211.png

We have seen some dramatic temperature reversals within individual months lately, and this one may try to do the same thing.  Though we will have such a head start on negative anomalies that it is difficult to imagine all of the departures being reversed.

Sounds like on Saturday Chicago will 3 way tie the record for consecutive days not reaching 20....

From LOT AFD:
"(Saturday)... should allow Chicago to reach it`s 12th consecutive day of not reaching 20 degrees, which would tie a record set in 1936 and 1895 for the longest of such streaks."

This map speaks for itself. Southern Missouri over 1,000 days and counting since there last WSW. Locally we are working towards 700 days. The lakes have done the best including hot hand michsnowfreak and gang lol. 

With a warmup looming, likely rolling into the latter half of January with 5.6” of snowfall on the season. 

747092EE-A03E-4429-A1CD-6BF5708E49D5.png

10 minutes ago, Chambana said:

This map speaks for itself. Southern Missouri over 1,000 days and counting since there last WSW. Locally we are working towards 700 days. The lakes have done the best including hot hand michsnowfreak and gang lol. 

With a warmup looming, likely rolling into the latter half of January with 5.6” of snowfall on the season. 

N Florida and W Michigan tied at 2  days. Look now cuz I don't expect to see that again, lol

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

That's a cool map. There are a few areas where it's not very representative, mine for example. IWX has issued multiple WSW's for LES that reach nowhere close to MBY. So rather than 2 days, I'm closer to Central IN's 681.

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

We had some great seasons over the past 15 years. Everything balances out. And yet I'm guessing a map showing snow departures from normal over the last 5 seasons would not be that crazy poor. 

2 hours ago, Baum said:

We had some great seasons over the past 15 years. Everything balances out. And yet I'm guessing a map showing snow departures from normal over the last 5 seasons would not be that crazy poor. 

What's poor about 2 days? Hehehe....really tho, as discussed in that other forum, sometimes the warning issued was for ice only, so that's yet another misleading aspect of the map. One based solely on synoptic snows of warned criteria would be more telling 

5 hours ago, GreenBo said:

Ha, you know it’s been bone chilling cold, when you step outside and 32 degree air feels like spring.

32 IMBY, warmest reading on PWS in a couple weeks. 

Ha yeah it kind of does feel like spring in a way.  You can be outside for more than a short bit and not feel like you're going to freeze to death.  Kind of gives you a fall sense that we've turned a corner and are heading towards spring, but there's still a lot of winter left. 

32 here as well, and should make it above freezing today for the first time since Dec 22.  The freezing rain compacted the snow down to about 3" or so, and with this weeks 40s the snow should be toast by the end of the week.

Archived