Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

why not? Isn't this airmass colder than last Feb's? I realize if we're dead calm I'm screwed, but if we have some wind, I'm typically the coldest around, including the valleys.

You'll definitely do fine during the day, probably challenging your cold high temp records. Nighttime will probably be a different story, cold but nothing record breaking (especially if we have wind).

High of 12.2F so far. Not much wind at all so far and even tomorrow looks like NBD. That's when you know the arctic cold is entrenched over us. There's no monster gradient force advecting insanely cold air over us. It just oozed on in and looks like a typical fair day out there.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

High of 12.2F so far. Not much wind at all so far and even tomorrow looks like NBD. That's when you know the arctic cold is entrenched over us. There's no monster gradient force advecting insanely cold air over us. It just oozed on in and looks like a typical fair day out there.

Just as I type this we get our strongest gust of the day. :arrowhead:

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The way the cold just rots over us with reinforcing shots every now and then is really impressive. It gets to the point that seeing -14 or -15C 850 temps looks kind of mild. The next time we see something warmer than that might be a week away and it could be due to warm air advection on the front side of a snowstorm....

22 hours ago, tamarack said:

Farmington reached -39 on 1/20/1994, for their coldest on record.  Madison's records don't go back as far, and I don't think they've gotten down that low.  State record was set in 2009 at Big Black River, with -50, and there were lots of mid -40s that morning in Aroostook.

Correction to the above:  Madison data goes back only to 1948, but on 1/20/1994 they recorded the exact same -1/-39 as Farmington.  This tied 2/2/1962 for their coldest, though the earlier date had a max of -2, for their coldest daily mean.

My record low is -13.9F last Feb 14. I wonder if we'll challenge that.

I'm confident you meant "last year, on Feb 14.  That's the day NYC ticked down to -1, and this past Feb had nothing even close to that cold.  My low on 2/14/2017 was a modest -4, compared to -17 a year earlier.

It was -12 as I left for work, and still dropping.  It's doubtful the temp will reach double digits today, maybe not until the middle of next week.  My longest run here with maxima <10° is 4 days, Jan 8-11, 2004.  Looks like that record will fall, though it's nothing compared to Feb 10-17, 1979 in Ft. Kent, when it never got above -2 the whole 8 days.

Correction to the above:  Madison data goes back only to 1948, but on 1/20/1994 they recorded the exact same -1/-39 as Farmington.  This tied 2/2/1962 for their coldest, though the earlier date had a max of -2, for their coldest daily mean.

My record low is -13.9F last Feb 14. I wonder if we'll challenge that.
I'm confident you meant "last year, on Feb 14.  That's the day NYC ticked down to -1, and this past Feb had nothing even close to that cold.  My low on 2/14/2017 was a modest -4, compared to -17 a year earlier.
It was -12 as I left for work, and still dropping.  It's doubtful the temp will reach double digits today, maybe not until the middle of next week.  My longest run here with maxima
Yes you're right, it was Feb 2016 for my low.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

lol its already -7 in Eden Vt, can we 30 below?

Eden is one of the snowiest towns around here.  High elevation (like all above 1kft with most living around 1500ft) tucked on the east side of the Spine between Stowe and Jay.  I've got a coworker that lives there and he gets snow similar to the base of Mansfield.  I'll have 2" on those fluff mornings in town and he'll have 7".  

Elevated glen climate...they have a pretty decent lake there at 1500ft and that area has to radiate like mad.  This the -7F already.

Theres an old Eden COOP with decent snowfall data too if you ever want to weenie out.  I remember driving through there in college and the snow like doubled and we were all like where the F are we now?  It was Eden.

I'd live there but it's like 30 minutes just to get groceries or milk.  I get spoiled here with easy access to so much stuff in a resort town. 

Didn't come close to sniffing double digits today in the valleys around here... MVL was missing some data this afternoon but had 5F for 3pm obs.  MPV had a high of 5F. 
Welcome to Siberia.  -10F up top in the sunshine and falling.
Wintry-view-from-the-Octagon.jpg&key=38880d55a47eaa26895266aa704ec9e335731cc3ae4f50cf04e0696b316164d5
Mwn down to -23F. Dint think I'm skiing wildcat tomorrow

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Eden is one of the snowiest towns around here.  High elevation (like all above 1kft with most living around 1500ft) tucked on the east side of the Spine between Stowe and Jay.  I've got a coworker that lives there and he gets snow similar to the base of Mansfield.  I'll have 2" on those fluff mornings in town and he'll have 7".  

Elevated glen climate...they have a pretty decent lake there at 1500ft and that area has to radiate like mad.  This the -7F already.

Theres an old Eden COOP with decent snowfall data too if you ever want to weenie out.  I remember driving through there in college and the snow like doubled and we were all like where the F are we now?  It was Eden.

I'd live there but it's like 30 minutes just to get groceries or milk.  I get spoiled here with easy access to so much stuff in a resort town. 

Sounds like a place I'd be interested in moving to someday. Expensive spot? Get me a Market Basket there and it's a done deal.

Archived