Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

This mornings readings seemed out of sorts.  It seemed like some spots that are usually colder were warmer than normal and others were colder than normal.  It's not often that BDL is colder than me.

Tied for the 2nd coldest temp for BDL ever on this date. Sneaky fake cold. What was the forecast min for BDL last night? I'm guessing nothing close to -2F.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think the P&C does have some 10 degree ranges at times (i.e. 5 to 15 below). 

the -14 number is important in a lot of parts of SNH, where people are growing peaches.  We have a huge orchard at Richardson's Farm in Boscawen, just across the field from our land.  Probably good to warn people when there will be a big range, so that they have an inkling.  For example if the P&C says -7 then people aren't worried.  But if there is a range of say -5 to -15 then it will get their attention.  Some places have fans I think to move the air on borderline temp nights.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Maybe a little diamond dust at LEB and SLK this morning? I saw the 1-3SM vis obs with HZ.

I'm thinking we see a lot of that.

I expect MVL to be in the -20s with HZ there by their Ryder Brook drainage every morning, lol.  They see a lot of freezing fog there in the valley bottom along the RT 100 corridor.

I had only looked at the lows this morning but didn't realize how we got there...

MVL was only 0F at 6am (which is nothing, most of New England was colder) with a north wind at 7mph. 

Then the wind went calm and the temp from 6am to 7am dropped from 0F to -10F and then to -13F by 8am before the sun finally got to it.

Crazy how the low through 6am can be 0F but then its -13F at 8am.  This time of year though I believe the mornings are still getting darker despite the days getting longer or something like that?

I've got +1F at the house right now at 10:50am.  Barely above zero on the deck thermometer.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I had only looked at the lows this morning but didn't realize how we got there...

MVL was only 0F at 6am (which is nothing, most of New England was colder) with a north wind at 7mph. 

Then the wind went calm and the temp from 6am to 7am dropped from 0F to -10F and then to -13F by 8am before the sun finally got to it.

Crazy how the low through 6am can be 0F but then its -13F at 8am.  This time of year though I believe the mornings are still getting darker despite the days getting longer or something like that?

I've got +1F at the house right now at 10:50am.  Barely above zero on the deck thermometer.

MVL had a brief period of lower vis -15F HZ this morning. Maybe some IC there too, but I usually like to see phantom -SN occasionally thrown in. Maybe it was just patchy FZFG.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

MVL had a brief period of lower vis -15F HZ this morning. Maybe some IC there too, but I usually like to see phantom -SN occasionally thrown in. Maybe it was just patchy FZFG.

Yeah I think its mostly FZFG seeing where the ASOS is.  Like behind my house the river will have freezing fog and haze within like 150 feet either side of the river.  The ASOS is right next to that drainage so I always think its the same thing...driving RT 100 you can see it too sometimes.  Just a thin fog/haze following the immediate water path and literal valley bottom (talking like the final 25 vertical feet down to the water bottom).  You can see it on like the right side of the road, then fog/haze over the road where the water goes under it, then the haze is more on the other side of the road.  Where ever that water goes so does the FZFG.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think its mostly FZFG seeing where the ASOS is.  Like behind my house the river will have freezing fog and haze within like 150 feet either side of the river.  The ASOS is right next to that drainage so I always think its the same thing...driving RT 100 you can see it too sometimes.  Just a thin fog/haze following the immediate water path and literal valley bottom (talking like the final 25 vertical feet down to the water bottom). 

Yeah...it’s just that they were on that borderline for possibly seeing that transition from FZFG to IC. I see it occasionally along the Merrimack River valley in Canterbury here on those -15F to -20F mornings. Where it’s normally regular old fog it becomes a winter wonderland of diamond dust with sun glistening through it.

Archived