joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s funny how CON didn’t even come close. The difference is they have a longer history than most sites and they’re a rad pit. That cold shot 1/7-8/1878 was one of their coldest on record. They had -24 on the 7th and -35 on the 8th. This morning’s well-mixed -7 never had a chance.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s impressive to break it by 4F in January

That’s like hitting 102F to break a 98F record in July.

1/7 is one of the weakest Jan record days for many sites. For ORH it was tied for 2nd weakest. Only the -3 for 1/3 is weaker. So basically we timed this cold shot just right.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man BTV with -20F this morning.  

That's impressive there.  Even a light east wind developed which is the drainage flow off the west slope benches.  

Very hard to get that good radiational cooling there.

I of course had to step outside in it for a short time but I didn't do the boiling water trick LOL.

It’s been interesting watching the turkeys lately. They are just hanging out in the trees or on my fence and are kind of in WTF mode it seems.  I caught them hanging out on the south side of my house, almost soaking in the solar radiation reflecting off the house. It’s definitely behavior I’ve never noticed before. 

It’s been interesting watching the turkeys lately. They are just hanging out in the trees or on my fence and are kind of in WTF mode it seems.  I caught them hanging out on the south side of my house, almost soaking in the solar radiation reflecting off the house. It’s definitely behavior I’ve never noticed before. 
Almost never see the turkeys in the winter and wonder where they hang out. Assumed they didn't walk south for the winter.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

An arctic air mass with 5-10mph winds is useless. You're not getting the weenie radiational cooling numbers and the wind isn't enough for mancold wind chills. It's like 35F snow in April...basically useless.

Yeah, RAD cooling FTL, If the wind had fallen off i think we would have done better, I see IZG was -26°F, We had colder nights in the last 10 days then what i had last night here.

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Like I said, underperformer here.

-6...last outbreak was -8.

This cold snap definitely won't be about the lowest lows but more for the lowest highs and duration.  I feel it's easier to pull off the former than the latter since it's a lot easier to radiate/decouple on a clear/calm night in many spots with snowpack.  Sitting at 4F at 11am.

Archived