• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

A long-lasting very  cold airmass is about to enter New England.  It might not be record breaking or as intense as some that we have had but the longevity could make this very rememberable. 

Maybe someone can put this in perspective but I think this is worthy of its own thread...

Discuss... 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

A long-lasting very  cold airmass is about to enter New England.  It might not be record breaking or as intense as some that we have had but the longevity could make this very rememberable. 

Maybe someone can put this in perspective but I think this is worthy of its own thread...

Discuss... 

It could very well be record breaking

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any similarity, pattern wise, to the December 1980 cold? I don’t recall that as being as long in duration.

More like Jan. 2004?  I don't see the record-breakers like Christmas 1980; I think BOS had an afternoon max of about zero, spoiled by a cheap 12:01 AM high.  Jan. '04 doesn't hold my minima record, but it has the lion's share of low maxima.  If this upcoming spell verifies, I might go a week without ever reaching 10°.

2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Bad timing for skiing and Christmas break. This will reduce profits at a key money making time of the year.

My wife and I are headed to Jay Peak this week from 12/28-1/1. It was a bit of a last minute trip booked a few weeks ago. She wanted to go to Mexico lol. Anyone know any good divorce lawyers?  Ha ha. At least the slopes won't be crowded. I keep telling my wife it's a dry cold. 

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

More like Jan. 2004?  I don't see the record-breakers like Christmas 1980; I think BOS had an afternoon max of about zero, spoiled by a cheap 12:01 AM high.  Jan. '04 doesn't hold my minima record, but it has the lion's share of low maxima.  If this upcoming spell verifies, I might go a week without ever reaching 10°.

Yeah. It looks like it has stamina. If BOX is correct, I don’t get to 15after tomorrow for a week.

I don’t recall Jan 2004 too well.

4 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

My wife and I are headed to Jay Peak this week from 12/28-1/1. It was a bit of a last minute trip booked a few weeks ago. She wanted to go to Mexico lol. Anyone know any good divorce lawyers?  Ha ha. At least the slopes won't be crowded. I keep telling my wife it's a dry cold. 

There’s always the waterpark. 

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

There’s always the waterpark. 

Yup thanks and I'm sure that will be the popular spot. Can't imagine the heating bills to keep that running. 

I doubt she will ski. If the lifts are running I will board.  Spent a week in Canada in early 90s during cold like this. One night it was -40 and that is still the coldest weather I ever experienced. It's all about layers and keeping all skin covered. Pres weekend 2016 at Killington was a good match. I rode all day in sub zero cold. Between the water park and spa she should be ok. 

59 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

Yup thanks and I'm sure that will be the popular spot. Can't imagine the heating bills to keep that running. 

I doubt she will ski. If the lifts are running I will board.  Spent a week in Canada in early 90s during cold like this. One night it was -40 and that is still the coldest weather I ever experienced. It's all about layers and keeping all skin covered. Pres weekend 2016 at Killington was a good match. I rode all day in sub zero cold. Between the water park and spa she should be ok. 

In January 2009 I was skiing at Sugarloaf with the temperature at -35F, colder than this will be. It's the timing that's bad.

1 hour ago, Redmorninglight said:

Oh man.  Bring your warm clothes.  Plenty of hot tub time.  Skiing is nice when it's empty though.  And this weather takes "empty" to a new level.

MVL forecast to compare next week...and +2F is the highest temp for 8 days at 700ft elevation.

IMG_7896.thumb.PNG.a807e09dc34f99f9040acaa888bcd877.PNG

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh man.  Bring your warm clothes.  Plenty of hot tub time.  Skiing is nice when it's empty though.  And this weather takes "empty" to a new level.

MVL forecast to compare next week...and +2F is the highest temp for 8 days at 700ft elevation.

IMG_7896.thumb.PNG.a807e09dc34f99f9040acaa888bcd877.PNG

Don't worry I hunt and surf in the winter. I'm used to miserable cold. I just wonder at what point do they delay the lifts from running? I noticed at Kmart almost 2 years ago that they delayed opening until 10 or 11 due to severe cold. I think wind chills were near 60-70 below. That was when NYC went below zero first time since 1994. Calm and minus 20 is ok for me. 

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, the duration and severity of this cold is pretty incredible....really just made note of it today.

Wow.

If we do not get a significant event when this breaks, that would be a chink in the armor of my outlook.

I'd expect something decent.

Maybe we're entering the start of one of Kevin's deadly New England faux droughts.  That would be a kick in the nuts.

15.3*

Disney anyone?

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=seus&pkg=T2m&runtime=2017122606&fh=174

Archived