Dano62
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Up to 6F now after a low of -23F.

Feels amazing out.  This is like that first 50F dayin March.

Ohhhhh that sounds sooooooooooo good. Full snow pack, cold night, nice groom, sun warms it all up, base lots booming. People cooking burgers and dogs, snow nice and slushy and soft. Damnit that sounds like heaven. 

35 minutes ago, S&P said:

from yesterday morning, ice is down to prudence island on the east passage of narragansett bay , looking west/north towards prudence island and providence. the slurpee froze solid.

IMG_0165.thumb.jpg.575f8151dcb25f29ef8d6d45d7c76252.jpgIMG_0144.jpg.184d14813566f82bd072f1390a4c5686.jpgIMG_0171.thumb.jpg.1e27b465c17a0e6e3ef628e2544c8323.jpg

If you want an interesting night or 2 away, and you really want to be alone, but still close to civilization rent a place on Prudence.  Just be wary of the deer and tick possibilities. 

9 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

If you want an interesting night or 2 away, and you really want to be alone, but still close to civilization rent a place on Prudence.  Just be wary of the deer and tick possibilities. 

Was in Portsmouth this weekend for a wake. Wife and family used to spend the summers on Prudence Island. We're thinking of taking the ferry over one weekend this summer. It was -1.4F for a low at my inlaws on East Main road. First and only time I can remember going below zero on the island.

58 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Was in Portsmouth this weekend for a wake. Wife and family used to spend the summers on Prudence Island. We're thinking of taking the ferry over one weekend this summer. It was -1.4F for a low at my inlaws on East Main road. First and only time I can remember going below zero on the island.

Yeah. Must be nasty down there with the wind and cold off the water.  I went to school at Roger Williams and I always remember the winters being non eventful except for the March Super Storm of 93.  Even that one tainted at the end making the snow totals less than expected.  I used to have friends over at Common Fence Point and I remember nasty winds ...even there, not opened to the south of the bay.  I do remember coming back to visit while living in DC....winter of 94 I think it was where Newport got hammered with snow.  Cars burried for days.

12 hours ago, MarkO said:

11 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Yeah. Must be nasty down there with the wind and cold off the water.  I went to school at Roger Williams and I always remember the winters being non eventful except for the March Super Storm of 93.  Even that one tainted at the end making the snow totals less than expected.  I used to have friends over at Common Fence Point and I remember nasty winds ...even there, not opened to the south of the bay.  I do remember coming back to visit while living in DC....winter of 94 I think it was where Newport got hammered with snow.  Cars burried for days.

for 0' elevation we do wind right (sailing anyone?), one of the coldest spots around is naval station newport where the wind carry's the entire length of the bay unobstructed, damn cold with the wind over the water. 

yeah we don't get below zero often, coldest i remember is Feb 15 , -8

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

14dTDeptNRCC.png.33d27fbb003df8e666d33c50beeed6df.png

Would be even more impressive if the endpoints were 12/27 and 1/7.

Today was my first above-zero morning since 12/26.  For those 13 days, my average temp was 7/-17, and 22° BN.  Sunday's low of -20 was modest for here, especially after Saturday's max of -5.  I'm guessing the wind continued long enough (or re-started pre-dawn, as temps rose 3-7 AM) to spike another -30s morning.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, dryslot said:

Yeah, RAD cooling FTL, If the wind had fallen off i think we would have done better, I see IZG was -26°F, We had colder nights in the last 10 days then what i had last night here.

Right.  My Sunday low of -20 looks less impressive after the 5 days 12/29-1/2 averaged -25.  (-31,-25,-18,-24,-27)

Archived