Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

This cold snap definitely won't be about the lowest lows but more for the lowest highs and duration.  I feel it's easier to pull off the former than the latter since it's a lot easier to radiate/decouple on a clear/calm night in many spots with snowpack.  Sitting at 4F at 11am.

I totally agree. A good still clear night on fresh snow and you can easily get -teens and 20s here in VT.  To me what this snap was about was the sheer brutality of the 48 hours from Friday AM through Sunday AM. The wind on sub zero temps was  punishing up here. For it to last two full days was intense. As I said to PowderFreak, today feels 40 degrees warmer despite being actually colder so far.  In the sun, with no wind, it feels 30+ here.  

Also, noticed a lot of the weather stations along Lake Champlain have flipped to reading S winds. Marking that as the point we started to climb out of this cold. 

1 hour ago, metagraphica said:

Beautiful view of the east coast this morning.  Still snow pack down to the coast in SC.  You know it's been cold when they hold onto snow that long.

image.thumb.png.1815d9ddfebf947b05d1548209c35542.png 

Yeah the cold down here has been very impressive. Charlotte had there coldest 7 day period in 23 years. Very impressive for down here. I could not imagine being that cold up here though. The coldest i have ever experienced is negative 12.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Up to -1F at the office and about to have lunch outside on the picnic table in the sun. 

I can't imagine what 40F and sun would feel like right now. I may be tempted to wear shorts later this week.

Which reminds me I saw a guy at Target Friday night wearing shorts and a t-shirt with -20s wind chills. Nuts.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Only 7.6F so far, but it feels like spring with full sun and calm winds. The chickens agree...lots of sunbathing in the coop with their new chopped hay.

Yeah--my dog was loving it.  She went out this morning in the dark at -9 and stayed out for quite a while.  The last few days, she hardly did more than let the door close behind her before scratching to come back in.

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I can't imagine what 40F and sun would feel like right now. I may be tempted to wear shorts later this week.

Which reminds me I saw a guy at Target Friday night wearing shorts and a t-shirt with -20s wind chills. Nuts.

How about the people wearing dark clothing, riding a bike with no helmet, and the only thint that allows me to see them is their pearly white legs sticking out of their shorts.

4 hours ago, adk said:

I totally agree. A good still clear night on fresh snow and you can easily get -teens and 20s here in VT.  To me what this snap was about was the sheer brutality of the 48 hours from Friday AM through Sunday AM. The wind on sub zero temps was  punishing up here. For it to last two full days was intense. As I said to PowderFreak, today feels 40 degrees warmer despite being actually colder so far.  In the sun, with no wind, it feels 30+ here.  

Also, noticed a lot of the weather stations along Lake Champlain have flipped to reading S winds. Marking that as the point we started to climb out of this cold. 

This. 

That was probably the most intense 48 hour period of cold and high winds we've had in a long time.  It's like a once every 5 years type of deal for us to have high enough winds to force almost a resort wide closure except for beginner chairs.  And we did it like two days in a row.  Constant base area gusts for 48 hours exceeding 40-50mph with those extreme temperatures... and above like 3,000ft anywhere in NNE was hitting the uninhabitable stage.  The lowest sustained wind speed in 2 days up high was a brief dip to 39mph at some point but the majority of it was sustained 40-60mph and gusting 70-100mph.  At -26F. 

Normally we get these that maybe are 12 hour bursts of wind and cold and then it relaxes... and you get cold snaps and days like today where its cold but winds are calming down and the sun is out.  But the duration of persistent -SN, high winds, and brutal sub-zero cold was pretty darn impressive.  That was no radiational cooling type stuff... it was just straight cold and wind to the surface.

I got to -4 this morning. Currently 13 degrees with full sun and light wind. Tomorrow us going to feel amazing. I haven't done any shopping in days because I didn't want to get blasted by winds and sit in a frigid car...been thinking about skiing at Blue Hill. Now that the temps look good, I'll probably give it a shot.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

This cold snap definitely won't be about the lowest lows but more for the lowest highs and duration.  I feel it's easier to pull off the former than the latter since it's a lot easier to radiate/decouple on a clear/calm night in many spots with snowpack.  Sitting at 4F at 11am.

True.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The high of 15F at ACK is pretty impressive.  I don't know enough about their climo numbers to know just how impressive it is, but my gut reaction is wow .

They had a high of 14F on new year’s. They also had a 14F in Feb 2016. The coldest max at the airport site going back to 1948 is 12F. So it doesn’t get much colder than this.

Archived