Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yak said:

Mt. Washington currently at -33 degrees with a 99 mph wind gusting to 110 mph.  I would have guessed that created a windchill value below -88 but apparently not...

It's more like a wind chill of "stay away" .... new scale or old scale, that's truly unsurvivable. 

Sakonnet passage frozen entire width to the south as far as I can see, doesn’t usually freeze much further south than this as the tide tends to move through IMG_0159.thumb.jpg.514c0afe2bf04fb69dc2249f43c26c71.jpgIMG_0157.thumb.jpg.87b6d786f94212d024dccbffd013f677.jpghere with a lot of force and scours out ice pretty effectively.

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

-2F 

low.  Didn’t drop as much as I thought.   The wind has not let up though

Same here.  Been rattling the windows all night. 

We'll see what the day brings.  My all time record low max is 5° and I'm hoping to break or tie that.  All week my forecast had me doing that - now it reads 8°.  I'm usually a couple of ticks below that so it will be close.

1 minute ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Wow, congrats.  Only -6.5 here.

Wind has been brutal all night and is currently 17G33.

I've got a space heater running in my living room because I can't get the heat past 67 in here.

We had an hour where it was 5mph or less and we got a little drop. -7F now and gusting 15-20mph again. 

And yeah it’s pretty cold. Not like that Valentine’s day a few years ago, but still frigid. It’s 0F in the coop and that tends to run about 8-10F above ambient. They look cold, but they’re dealing with it.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wind......and trajectory is not ideal for delivery. 

Too much out of the west. Still impressive but the late December one will beat it I think. The radiators could go crazy tonight though with the fresh deep snow. 

This is very impressive wind and cold.  

Still honking at up to 50mph at 1500ft.

Temp is currently -16F at 1500ft.

It has been snowing for 12 hours straight now with maybe an inch of total sand.  

MVL with -11F and 2sm -SN.  Vis hasn't gone over 3sm in a long time.  

Really impressive to keep getting snow at these temperatures.  

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Too much out of the west. Still impressive but the late December one will beat it I think. The radiators could go crazy tonight though with the fresh deep snow. 

The wind chills have been impressive. It was going pretty good all night.  But the temp  literally did not budge after like 10pm last night. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The wind chills have been impressive. It was going pretty good all night.  But the temp  literally did not budge after like 10pm last night. 

Yeah ORH was 1F for like 7 straight hours. It looked like they were headed for -6 or something by 9pm but then it didn't move for the longest time. 

8 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Left N. Aroostook on Sunday Morning the 31st/New Years Eve, it was -8f at 7:15 am.

Got into N. CT, 9 hours later and it was 7 degrees F.  

Don’t know where those -30’s your talking about are coming from last week??  Unless it was that much colder south of St. Agatha and Madawaska that day???  But driving home through the whole State...temps weren’t any colder than the north...but it didn’t get above zero until slightly north of Augusta.  

Probably stayed mixed to some extent up there.  It's not unusual when a deep low is spinning to the north - northern Aroostook remains partially in the cyclonic flow while 200 miles SW it's calm and radiating.  The frigid mid-Feb run in 1979 featured 8 consecutive subzero maxima at my place in Ft. Kent but a low of -21, nothing extraordinary, because the wind never quit.  Meanwhile, Rangeley had several nights under -30, bottoming out at -38.

Low this AM was -13, wind still gusting to near 30.  We should pass the -7 from 9 last night, yesterday's low (and the first day since 12/26 that didn't reach negative double digits.)  Probably will top out near the -3 of 12/28, and if we go calm before midnight, we'll make a run at -30.

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah some of those runs early last week were dropping it almost due south into New England instead of into the eastern lakes. Still impressive, but not like some of the earlier runs 

5 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

4f windy, feels as brutal as any other day recently

i cannot wait til Monday and beyond when it becomes more humane

From a wind chill standpoint this def beats the late December shot I think. Wind has been relentless. But in terms of pure cold, this one moderated just a bit more. I haven't compared soundings yet but my guess is the late December shot was centered a bit lower down too. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

From a wind chill standpoint this def beats the late December shot I think. Wind has been relentless. But in terms of pure cold, this one moderated just a bit more. I haven't compared soundings yet but my guess is the late December shot was centered a bit lower down too. 

the fact that there is slush in the surf after ack was on the warm side of a monster coastal says something about the past 12 days imo

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just going off MWN they hit -34F in Dec and -37F this morning

4 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Just going off MWN they hit -34F in Dec and -37F this morning

Yeah that makes sense. I thought I remember the 850 temps not being THAT cold in December but like 900-925 was damned cold. This cold shot is tickling -30 up there at 850. 

Archived