SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fellow wood burners I am sure can relate. Been burning wood like crazy in the wood stove. Mostly red oak.  Just tapped in to my stash of Honey Locust. This stuff burns like rocket fuel....

Picture from 3 years ago when I cut and split it. It's well seasoned now.  Almost feel bad burning it as its such gorgeous wood but it puts out insane heat..

2013-11-11_16.40.49.jpg

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Fellow wood burners I am sure can relate. Been burning wood like crazy in the wood stove. Mostly red oak.  Just tapped in to my stash of Honey Locust. This stuff burns like rocket fuel....

Picture from 3 years ago when I cut and split it. It's well seasoned now.  Almost feel bad burning it as its such gorgeous wood but it puts out insane heat..

2013-11-11_16.40.49.jpg

Every year I pay a little extra per cord to get 50% black locust mixed in.  High btu.  I had not heard of honey locust.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sounds like easy high wind warning type stuff. To snap trees around these parts 70+?

On a side note, we need to bring back the term "freshet."

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Sounds like easy high wind warning type stuff. To snap trees around these parts 70+?

On a side note, we need to bring back the term "freshet."

I love that word. Throw it into an AFD in late March when we have a 3ft pack and a 3" rainstorm on the way.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like my max will be 9.6F. Pretty damn cold the last 4 days.

12/27  12.2  -5.8
12/28   2.3  -8.7
12/29   2.5 -10.7
12/30   9.6  -9.1

The sun came out pretty strongly the past hour and I shot up to 11F.  I was hoping to stay under 10F today to see how many consecutive days under 10F.  If you can stay under 10F today I bet it is some type of record for you.  Last Saturday I hit 33F or today would have been about 10 days so far below freezing.  Unless we get a cutter what a long stretch of below 32F this will be..

7 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Has anyone tried the boiling water tossed into the air trick? My girlfriend is in Winterpeg and I got her to do it. Worked awesome but the temp there is -35c.

It didn't work at about -12F when I tried it.  What was fun was taking boiling water outside and spraying it and making a giant stream cloud.  Also running water on the car metal and having it freeze before hitting the ground.  I always wanted to try to spit on someone and have it be a frozen ice ball when hitting them.  

It didn't work at about -12F when I tried it.  What was fun was taking boiling water outside and spraying it and making a giant stream cloud.  Also running water on the car metal and having it freeze before hitting the ground.  I always wanted to try to spit on someone and have it be a frozen ice ball when hitting them.  

Lol. The spitting idea is great. Probably have to be -40 or more for that to happen. I think for the boiling water trick, it has to be at least -30c (-22f) to have a shot. It will never happen in my hood.

32 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The sun came out pretty strongly the past hour and I shot up to 11F.  I was hoping to stay under 10F today to see how many consecutive days under 10F.  If you can stay under 10F today I bet it is some type of record for you.  Last Saturday I hit 33F or today would have been about 10 days so far below freezing.  Unless we get a cutter what a long stretch of below 32F this will be..

We went a week straight at the end of 1917 into 1918.

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

100 years ago this week!  Your good for tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday so that would have been 6 days right?  Too bad mid week will screw you up or you could have easily broken that record.

Technically I hit 10F today...but yeah, the <10.0F rolls on. ;)

Archived