Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I cannot believe what I'm seeing on the models this morning.  

This is going to suck so much.

The GFS has like -20C or colder from Day 3-10.  

The GGEM 2-M temps up here go below zero at hour 48 and don't go back above zero until like Day 9 at 18z before back to -20F on Day 10.

It’s winter in New England. Gotta man up. This is how it was when we were growing up. Winters started early and locked in . Throw a few extra handwarmers inside the mittens and jump on the t bar 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s winter in New England. Gotta man up. This is how it was when we were growing up. Winters started early and locked in . Throw a few extra handwarmers inside the mittens and jump on the t bar 

yeah, Wildcat is going to be balls cold on Friday. Supposed to meet some friends up there, but not sure it'll be worth the window tix price.

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yeah, Wildcat is going to be balls cold on Friday. Supposed to meet some friends up there, but not sure it'll be worth the window tix price.

Liftopia has them for $68.99 for this Friday

I want to get in some runs at my local bump (Wachusett) this week ( a very crowded week). The cold will help with the crowds some, but it will probably be just 4-5 runs then head home,  I went for a little bit last night, after our company and the EMTs had left our house (don’t ask) and the conditions were perfect.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I want to get in some runs at my local bump (Wachusett) this week ( a very crowded week). The cold will help with the crowds some, but it will probably be just 4-5 runs then head home,  I went for a little bit last night, after our company and the EMTs had left our house (don’t ask) and the conditions were perfect.

good to know, thanks.

10 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Geezus is this the whiner line? , low wind and cold and sun, what the hell is going on in here. If its not cutters then its too cold. 

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

everything ok and yes I asked

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

everything ok and yes I asked

Nah. Things are fine. My wife’s 90 year old uncle came by for coffee and dessert and tripped over the threshold leading into our cellar from the garage. Nasty gash to his head...lots of blood and an egg. He’s a stubborn old coot and refused to go to the ER. Our fire captain and a cop and another EMT got here in 3 minutes from the 911 call.  They patched him up a bit and I drove him home later before skiing. My wife went to see him this morning and he is good.  Always fun.  I hope things are ok with your family.

This cold has been pretty well modeled but the length and depth are impressive.

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Haha well played man.

I'm like the dude right now that needs a kick in the nuts and a few shots of bourbon to stop looking at this like a wimp and get some manhood back.  

Its not the cold though as much as what it means for snow when it's like this.  Too cold for snow comes into play...aka suppression.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nah. Things are fine. My wife’s 90 year old uncle came by for coffee and dessert and tripped over the threshold leading into our cellar from the garage. Nasty gash to his head...lots of blood and an egg. He’s a stubborn old coot and refused to go to the ER. Our fire captain and a cop and another EMT got here in 3 minutes from the 911 call.  They patched him up a bit and I drove him home later before skiing. My wife went to see him this morning and he is good.  Always fun.  I hope things are ok with your family.

This cold has been pretty well modeled but the length and depth are impressive.

Scary though when that happens, old peeps are tough Mofos, glad he is ok. Thanks for asking, Mom in law last days here. Such is life.

WAWA on the list soon, I will let you know so we can GTG

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha well played man.

I'm like the dude right now that needs a kick in the nuts and a few shots of bourbon to stop looking at this like a wimp and get some manhood back.  

Its not the cold though as much as what it means for snow when it's like this.  Too cold for snow comes into play...aka suppression.

I would think that the upslope machine kicks in at times though. But although cold as long as the winds are down, sun is up, the exertion of skiing and all the new gear keeps me warm. Lifts suck but again as long as there is no wind its really bearable. i realize its not good from your business standpoint but the empty slope thing is a big attraction to me.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think that's a fair statement for most humans...tough going about your daily life at those temps.  Like getting groceries becomes something you need to mentally prepare for just to load and unload the car.

I'd enjoy a taste for it. Just because I love extremes. Biggest sensible cold I have ever felt was up in the Whites in Jan 94. IIRC we radiated to like -30. Man stuff.

13 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. It looks like it has stamina. If BOX is correct, I don’t get to 15after tomorrow for a week.

I don’t recall Jan 2004 too well.

New England's coldest daily max, for stations other than MWN is -24, reached twice.  1st CT Lake did it on 12/26/80 (actually the high on 12/25; they observe at 7A) and Mansfield tied it on 1/14/2004.  The Farmington co-op had highs of -8 and -6 for Jan 14-15, and those are tied for 3rd and 5th lowest maxima in 125 years of record.  I had highs of -11 (spoiled by the "cheap" -7 at 9 the previous evening) and -8, and on the 15th my throttle linkage was stuck from the cold (cruise un-control was not part of the pickup's original equipment), making for an interesting drive home until I stopped at the street light at the corner of Rts 27 and 225 and managed to free it. 

06z GFS has Rangeley staying below zero for over 100 cons hours.

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'd enjoy a taste for it. Just because I love extremes. Biggest sensible cold I have ever felt was up in the Whites in Jan 94. IIRC we radiated to like -30. Man stuff.

I’ve seen -30F once, in Island Pond VT in the late 1990s.  My friend who has a house there has seen -40 a couple of times.  Coldest here was -19F

Archived