• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Possible Infection of Site

crazywx

Sorry to interrupt your normally scheduled program but...

Has anyone noticed a scam "your computer is infected, call this number for support" web site loading when clicking the link to the Mid-Atlantic forum. The behavior may well be duplicated on other links, but that is the forum I most often visit. The page loads are not consistent. It will not happen every time. I have duplicated the problem on two computers and an iPhone, so I really doubt it is a problem on my end.  Be cautious entering personal information because if I am correct, it would indicate this web site has been compromised. 

I've gotten the scam page on my desktop. Since I was idle on it as I spent 2 weeks in Arizona, it logged me out. Every time I try to log back in the scam page loads up in a new tab that I cannot close unless I shut down the system and restart.

I guess it hasn't affected my Android phone because I've not been logged off it yet.

Glad to see this thread as I was thinking I was the only one getting it.

7 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

I kept getting a pop up saying you have won a Gift Card after viewing it on my tablet. This never happened before on it. 

Yes it is different on my phone. See attachment. I suppose it could be the ad provider and not the site. 

amazon rewards.PNG

3 minutes ago, NCWX said:

I have been getting it on my all my phones, and my laptops for this site, Fox News, AP News, and a Vaping site I am on since last weekend.  Its beyond annoying. 

That would indicate an infected ad provider or one that is not careful about who they sell advertising to... I would think. Most if not all (including myself) have only seen this happen this weekend and only here. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Run malware bytes (free version). That should take care of any browser based crap. I use the pro version and my pc and phone are scanned daily. Never had a single issue with anything since I started using malware bytes. There are plenty of other free programs that do the same thing though. 

Bob: The vast majority of people here are experiencing exactly the same behavior on multiple devices at the the exact same entry point. This includes phones, both iOS and Android. Malware on our end can be ruled out with 100% certainty. I wouldn't disagree with your choice of Malwarebytes as in my opinion, there is nothing better, but in this case it would be ineffective for the vast majority of us.  

Archived