• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential Energy Flux

5 waves of +anomaly out weigh all cold in the Hemisphere over a 21-day period. Since 1948 this has never happened before.

1948_Jan_5_13.gif
Global Temps are warm
12_24_2017.gif

Models I think are not initializing things right because this is like a spike. When spikes happens, model will skew in the other direction (cold) because they are based on math

12_24_2017_A.gif

I made a point that storms around New Years and the general cold predicted by models is significantly overdone/off. The pattern will likely verify warmer, watter, and likely north with storms tracks. You will see this trend in models pretty much every run starting now. 

LR Models are sitting on a lot of potential energy to just be released (model error). (Siberia)

My guess it will balance the -anomaly on the other side of globe. 

y1.gif
y2.gif

averages is that such a stagnant, one-directional pattern will organize around a point later in time. 

10mb warming has occurred since Dec 8. 

1a.gif

And is expected to continue short term,

a11.png

This strongly correlated to negative NAO on 2-4 week lag. 

Understand that all dispersed, scattered +energy will come together to create super +anomaly pattern, because that is the law of averages and balance, and I predict this will begin over eastern Canada and the NAO region in early January

t1.jpg

Then as we shift into Nina-forcing which long term models are already hinting at, the warmth shifts into the SE United States. It has the potential to get really warm, record breaking warm. For reference, 5 years ago in March 2012 we had +17 anomalies for the entire month, and this pattern has more potential. 

t2.jpg

While investigating the Arctic warm anomaly intrusion into the Bering Strait I found December 1, 2007 to be a good analog of December 23, 2017. In particular, similar MJO phase 7 exit with high zonal available potential energy results in a similar 500mb geopotential height configuration in the Arctic. Both have a loose wavenumber 5 configuration, and Arctic 2m surface temperatures are very similar for each case.

I think you may find other analogs by searching for strong MJO Phase 7 exits around Nov-Feb. I used this paper as the source for Dec 1, 2007 and for looking for MJO correlates: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0502.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived