SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest, we're still 6 days away. The likelihood that this storm keeps the same track is small. So either it trends further west or stays east. I'd bet that this thing has one more major shift left in it for better or for worse before we are really able to start talking details. This shift could take everyone out of the game or put a lot of people in the game. Another thing I like about this potential storm is that we haven't really been in the jackpot on this one yet. Sure the GGEM has given hints but everything else has kind of been OTS. So in my mind, sure it's going to be a bummer if we miss and NE gets it but at least we haven't really been jack-potted yet only to have our hopes dashed.  I'm just glad to have something to track for a little while. Trying to look at the upside...

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, nice shift west with the mean qpf field. Still doesn't make me feel any better honestly. Still long leads so anything can happen. 

It's hard to feel good when we both know historically this is not a good setup for here. New England yea. If I start to see a trend towards more development earlier in the southeast such that this can come at us from the Ssw not the south or worse southeast then I will feel better. 

16 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

The 12z GEFS took a step in the right direction from 6z. More west.

We're really just treading water. Yes the 12z gefs is better then 6z but worse then 0z. We got a good euro op run last night but then a bad ggem after 2 good ones. Overall things are bouncing around as they will at this range but for the last 24 hours the clear signal I see is for a northeast storm not a mid Atlantic one. That can change but there is no trend that way that I see. I reserve the right to change my mind after the EPS comes out of course. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's hard to feel good when we both know historically this is not a good setup for here. New England yea. If I start to see a trend towards more development earlier in the southeast such that this can come at us from the Ssw not the south or worse southeast then I will feel better. 

Correct me if my logic is flawed here but lets assume the trough leading in doesn't dig as much. That would track the gulf coast low further north. Like over the southern tier instead of over the GOM. Could keep the storm closer to the coast by default right?

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Correct me if my logic is flawed here but lets assume the trough leading in doesn't dig as much. That would track the gulf coast low further north. Like over the southern tier instead of over the GOM. Could keep the storm closer to the coast by default right?

Yes it could but that could also lead to a Boxing Day type abomination also.  If it's too flat the phase still happens late.  It would give us more of a chance but what I would really like to see is a trend stronger in the stj system over the southeast and a trend west in the trough digging behind it. Get the whole thing to start to phase to our south vs to our south east. 

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Ha. End of the GEFS run right back to a -EPO/+PNA pattern with the trough developing in the east. -AO too. Through 360hr at least. Temps below normal th e whole time.

And at least after we fail next Thursday there’s a coastal signal a week later to chase.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ha. End of the GEFS run right back to a -EPO/+PNA pattern with the trough developing in the east. -AO too. Through 360hr at least. Temps below normal th e whole time.

It's always refreshing when a pattern change to bad get pushed back in time. lol. We're usually dealing with the opposite. This year is a good lesson in long lead stuff. Finding the teleconnection that shows it's hand the strongest. This year is the AK/EPO ridge. We've been seeing it load basically since the week before Halloween. 

Here's the graph from 10/24 through 12/26. I'm not going to believe a long lead extended flip to + until it's already happening and holding in the mid range. Ens D10-15 keeps trying once in a while but it never holds. 

DjBFvHf.jpg

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

we do 20s and then the next day back to the 30s/40s pretty well, so the fact that is a fairly sustained pattern (at least for a week) tells me that canada isn't done providing us cold air.  farmer forecasting though, so we'll see.

Everyone should like this gif. GEFS 240-384 mslp loop. It's way out there but if your looking for a change to a more conducive pattern for more precip potential (and hopefully the frozen kind) this is a half decent look. Once the big cold high in the TN valley d10 retreats, the GEFS is advertising a string of hp's sliding across to the north. I can see how this can work for us and it's not a dry look either.

Cr1nHmC.gif

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Everyone should like this gif. GEFS 240-384 mslp loop. It's way out there but if your looking for a change to a more conducive pattern for more precip potential (and hopefully the frozen kind) this is a half decent look. Once the big cold high in the TN valley d10 retreats, the GEFS is advertising a string of hp's sliding across to the north. I can see how this can work for us and it's not a dry look either.

Cr1nHmC.gif

I am more optimistic about that then the convoluted phase scenario day 7.  That long range look would give us real threats.  Now just keep it that way.  I am fine with risking some warm days if we can get a storm track coming at us from the southwest with highs sliding by to our north.  Its not the most perfect setup ever, we would risk being on the wrong side of some, but get that pattern to hold long enough and we would get some frozen precip. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived