Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I agree with you. High won't verify, but the event shown probably won't either. We've gotta hope for some quick events that surprise us like this Wednesday event 

The GFS has nothing east of 81...maybe 15...but nothing east of there.  Maybe way up in MD.  I don't think this will do anything in VA.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

You can pretty much take what the GFS shows in the extended and expect the opposite to happen. It’s over amped then reverts to reality of the ongoing La Niña pattern. 

i heard the gefs weren't so great either so with all the variation during that time period maybe this is just one of those off runs...or maybe we're just in a squash pattern.  either way, clippers are notorious for being small scale annoyances to track especially being on the southern side of where they usually end up.

12 minutes ago, PDIII said:

This is quite possibly the worst period of model watching since I started this god forsaken hobby. I cannot remember a time when there has been so many teases that over time simply vanish in to thin air. This is simply agonizing. 

You haven't been doing this very long or don't have a good memory. We've already had 3 snow events this month and have "suffered" through about a week of bad times. Were you here during the stretch from Feb 2011 all the way through March 2013? That stretch was about 14 billion magnitudes worse than this one. This year is actually a GOOD year. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You haven't been doing this very long or don't have a good memory. We've already had 3 snow events this month and have "suffered" through about a week of bad times. We're you here during the stretch from Feb 2011 all the way through March 2013? That stretch was about 14 billion magnitudes worse than this one. This year is actually a GOOD year. 

Yeah, I agree with you. I was young and I can agree that that was an agonizing period. Even March 2013 sucked in it's own way. We have had 3 of our last 4 winters be above average, with 2 of those colder than average. We're already on pace for a colder than average December, and for some of us, a snowier than average December. We're not even in our peak climo for snowfall (which I believe is late Jan-Mid Feb). We will have plenty of storm chances, and I think we are just getting started

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

You haven't been doing this very long or don't have a good memory. We've already had 3 snow events this month and have "suffered" through about a week of bad times. We're you here during the stretch from Feb 2011 all the way through March 2013? That stretch was about 14 billion magnitudes worse than this one. This year is actually a GOOD year. 

Not to mention that it’s at least cold. For the past I don’t know how many winters we’ve had unseasonably warm temps through December and chased a pattern change in mid January that never materialized until March.

You haven't been doing this very long or don't have a good memory. We've already had 3 snow events this month and have "suffered" through about a week of bad times. Were you here during the stretch from Feb 2011 all the way through March 2013? That stretch was about 14 billion magnitudes worse than this one. This year is actually a GOOD year. 

Yeah.. I was around for it... I remember the dca 2 inch streak.. but I am pretty sure that it was pretty obvious we weren't getting anything back then.. and we could All just tune out. But this is different.. I feel like we are actually getting trolled by the GFS..

2 minutes ago, PDIII said:

Usually it like real freaking obvious that it is not gonna snow anytime soon... Usually is is like too warm or we are caught in a cutter cold warm up pattern.. but persistent cold. A tease every three days... Ever present 240 he storm? Man f this.

Relax my friend! As I tried to emphasize last weekend, we have been in a very dry pattern since September. Now, the push of cold air from the northwest is so strong that it shears most potential to our south and blocks the Gulf other than inconsequential clutter that we try to get excited about. I do see light at the end of the tunnel on the 12z ECM and 18z GFS. This is dreamland at 240 hrs., but offers hope as the cold thrust is relaxing and the STJ is active.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Not to mention that it’s at least cold. For the past I don’t know how many winters we’ve had unseasonably warm temps through December and chased a pattern change in mid January that never materialized until March.

Before I get band by the mean h20.... People need to do some reality checking. If you are looking for door to door cold with an event every 1-2 weeks this area is WAY low on the list of places to live. We are who we are here and always will be. We're having the best Dec since 2009 and people are unhinged. It's kinda embarrassing honestly. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Before I get band by the mean h20.... People need to do some reality checking. If you are looking for door to door cold with an event every 1-2 weeks this area is WAY low on the list of places to live. We are who we are here and always will be. We're having the best Dec since 2009 and people are unhinged. It's kinda embarrassing honestly. 

Embarrassing is right. And then tomorrow morning we will have a 20 page thread and three hour traffic jams for a trace of snow.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We haven't even had a short range bust this winter. Let that sink in for a minute. Every event that presented itself in a reasonable range has panned out nicely. The WDI says get ready for a reaming. 

Very true. I was looking through the March 13-14 storm threads for last year's storm, and nothing can get worse than that. Models were incredibly promising, and then DC got stuck on the sleet line, and the squall line did nothing. Can't get worse than a bust to end a winter than busted. Hard to get worse than that.

28 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Very true. I was looking through the March 13-14 storm threads for last year's storm, and nothing can get worse than that. Models were incredibly promising, and then DC got stuck on the sleet line, and the squall line did nothing. Can't get worse than a bust to end a winter than busted. Hard to get worse than that.

Heh, it gets much worse than that. You weren't here for March 2013. Other than Boxing Day, that was the only storm where I contemplated ending my computer's life. 

Heh, it gets much worse than that. You weren't here for March 2013. Other than Boxing Day, that was the only storm where I contemplated ending my computer's life. 

That was the first storm I "tracked". Remember it pretty clearly. I hated my band teacher and band in general, so I was following the weather that entire week leading up to the storm to hope to miss that Wednesday, which I had band on. Still missed that day, but it was pretty depressing watching it rain in the afternoon after we had gotten 3" of sloppy snow, especially since I remember my dad showing me the CWG article about the chance of a big storm about 5 days before. Looked at the obs about the storm, and it seemed very depressing. Another big bust was the after Valentine's day weekend storm 2015, where we had a change to get 6-8", but a dryslot made us get less than half of that. That winter made up for it fast though

56 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agreed. At least there is stuff to track. We have had entire winters without even fantasy storms to look at. I have been screwed more than anyone else in the MA and I am actually enjoying trying to figure out what the hell the GFS is doing :)

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived