SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ICON has some of the highest resolution amd actually runs off some of the schemes the EURO does. 

Last night's 00z cycle was much drier amd I expected theEURO to follow suit.  Now, with the 12z cycle wetter, i suspect thd EURO will have some trend back to a wetter solution.

Key differences:

The ICON is much quicker with the moisture,  starting earlier Thursday instead of late Thursday,  which likely could mean its emphasizing the lead wave a little more and/or just quicker with the timing of the moisture field.

8 minutes ago, Stormsfury said:

The ICON has some of the highest resolution amd actually runs off some of the schemes the EURO does. 

Last night's 00z cycle was much drier amd I expected theEURO to follow suit.  Now, with the 12z cycle wetter, i suspect thd EURO will have some trend back to a wetter solution.

Key differences:

The ICON is much quicker with the moisture,  starting earlier Thursday instead of late Thursday,  which likely could mean its emphasizing the lead wave a little more and/or just quicker with the timing of the moisture field.

It's really odd. Usually we have these kind of questions at day 5+ and especially 7+, but now we're within ~3 days and still not really knowing QPF amounts, isn't this kinda rare? 

6 minutes ago, tramadoc said:
27 minutes ago, WarmNose said:
Good start to a trend hopefully. Low popped closer to the coast. Precip a little stronger and further inland 

Personally, I don't want closer to the coast. We haven't seen anything here since 2014. Closer to the coast means we get rain.

I think central and eastern N.C. needs the low stronger, this will bring it further north but bring in more precip, we should still be cold enough for snow given the high placement

Just now, CummingGaSnow said:

It's really odd. Usually we have these kind of questions at day 5+ and especially 7+, but now we're within ~3 days and still not really knowing QPF amounts, isn't this kinda rare? 

Fast flow, lots of pieces of energy floating around, lots of issues for the models! May have to wait on nowcasting! Would love for this precip, if there is any, to arrive Thursday morning , like the Icon showed!

Just now, CummingGaSnow said:

The model mayhem has been for a better word ... extreme the last few years.  Basically think of the OP guidance as another variable in an ensemble.   Slightly different points lead to drastically different outcomes.   

19 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

These wierd models, icon, digimon, Pokemon models came to everyone's attention last year, but they did really well on last years storm 3-5 days out

Well it’s hard to take Pokémon and GFS over UK/Euro.  I just looked at the EPS, counted 22 or so members that get precip back to Raleigh and your area.  Roughly half of those were big amounts.  But 28 whiffs.  Going the wrong way.  

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Fast flow, lots of pieces of energy floating around, lots of issues for the models! May have to wait on nowcasting! Would love for this precip, if there is any, to arrive Thursday morning , like the Icon showed!

Why the morning as opposed to the evening? I'd think we'd want the evening so the damming could be firmly established so we can wet-bulb to the max.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived