Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Guys, to put this into perspective, the 2002 ice storm started out with a dry wedge and dew-points in the single digits above zero. This is 10 degrees colder than that one. We were in the mid 20's during the height of the storm. This would imply temps in the 20 degree range. If that is true, folks to the south of me will be crushed. We are looking at more in the way of frozen here in western NC. Good luck to you posters down that way.

That is the only time that I recall that North GA did not get much ice if any ice (at least my area) from a wedge when under an ice storm warning. Had a 33 degree pouring rain the whole night, not even a trace of ice that I can recall. I assume this would be different here. I think we got like over 2" that night, so perhaps it's a good thing it didn't freeze. At the time, however, I was totally bummed.

10 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

This is always the one thing that has confused the hell out of me. Super low dew points mean the Air is dry correct? So would we want higher dew points?

The drier the air is at the on-set of a precipitation event, the more evaporational cooling you will get. It is a product of latent heat transfer via evaporation. So, you want those dew points as low as you can get them to start, that is if you are rooting for a frozen/freezing event.

Tried bringing this up earlier but post got deleted for whatever reason.  Turning into typical northern stream dominated system that will really only impact the NE...there is a chance if enough of that energy that comes out to stay together to bring some light icing/snow.   There may be a surface reflection out off the SE coast but that won't throw precip back west until it all consolidates and pounds Boston.  Hopefully the first week of Jan brings something has some potential.

You can see the trend of the GFS digging the NS energy further SW and our SS energy evaporating.

0i9zHaI.gif

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived