• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

This is typical. Gfs tends to lose storms in the 5-7 day range only to start bringing in back. Euro is known to do the same in the 4-5 day range. That doesn't guarantee the euro is doing that this time but seems to be par for the course every year with storms around here

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from RAH:

Thursday night through Saturday, we will leave the low chance POP for
snow/sleet (frozen) and some ice threat as well (SE) for most of the
region. We will be deep in the cold air, courtesy of the strong arctic
high that will be in perfect location, and have sufficient strength
to continuously deliver
CAA from the north. This occurs as hard to time
impulses in the mid/upper
flow begin to throw lift and moisture
into the cold air in place.

All the precipitation chances will be tied to the potential initial
system approaching from the west / with secondary low development
off the SC coast Friday, then up the East Coast this weekend. It is
still very low confidence - but the chance of wintry weather remains
for all of central
NC late week. Lows generally in the 20s, with highs in the
30s (20s if widespread precipitation develops Friday a possibility in
the Piedmont).

This initial winter weather or storm threat will be followed
by yet another shot of bitter cold air expected later in the weekend.
Lows Sunday should be in the teens, with highs in the upper 20s NW
and 30s SE.

Yet another, possibly larger winter threat is possible New Year`s
week.

25 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

from RAH:

Thursday night through Saturday, we will leave the low chance POP for
snow/sleet (frozen) and some ice threat as well (SE) for most of the
region. We will be deep in the cold air, courtesy of the strong arctic
high that will be in perfect location, and have sufficient strength
to continuously deliver
CAA from the north. This occurs as hard to time
impulses in the mid/upper
flow begin to throw lift and moisture
into the cold air in place.

All the precipitation chances will be tied to the potential initial
system approaching from the west / with secondary low development
off the SC coast Friday, then up the East Coast this weekend. It is
still very low confidence - but the chance of wintry weather remains
for all of central
NC late week. Lows generally in the 20s, with highs in the
30s (20s if widespread precipitation develops Friday a possibility in
the Piedmont).

This initial winter weather or storm threat will be followed
by yet another shot of bitter cold air expected later in the weekend.
Lows Sunday should be in the teens, with highs in the upper 20s NW
and 30s SE.

Yet another, possibly larger winter threat is possible New Year`s
week.

From what y'all usually say, that seems extremely bullish for them!

Good morning folks and Merry Christmas Eve  :)  Please keep banter in the proper thread and if you find your posts being deleted, take a moment to compose a better post in the discussion thread before timeouts are handed out. Thank you in advance for your cooperation  ^_^  

Now.........back to your regular scheduled program :guitar:

Taller ridge at 69 12z NAm, comparing it to the 6z GFS. Sharper with the pac energy as well thus far. Hoping for a good trend today! Merry Christmas everyone! 

Edit: Nam would signify meager precip. Looks like it wants to transfer earlier to the SC coast as well. Kinda wonky imo with the general presentation. Should have produced something better at 500 with the look. I think the heights aren’t as good up in the Midwest, thus maybe why it’s more suppressed. Guess we’ll see at 12z with the GFS.

11 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Taller ridge at 69 12z NAm, comparing it to the 6z GFS. Sharper with the pac energy as well thus far. Hoping for a good trend today! Merry Christmas everyone! 

Edit: Nam would signify meager precip. Looks like it wants to transfer earlier to the SC coast as well. Kinda wonky imo with the general presentation. Should have produced something better at 500 with the look. I think the heights aren’t as good up in the Midwest, thus maybe why it’s more suppressed. Guess we’ll see at 12z with the GFS.

The disturbance we are concerned with is still in the Rockies at 84 hours on the Nam. The time period is not here yet. 

3C83B8FE-E346-4576-91AB-CD37547A88ED.jpeg

2 minutes ago, msuwx said:

The disturbance we are concerned with is still in the Rockies at 84 hours on the Nam. The time period is not here yet. 

Eh my bad on that. Very volatile setup with trying to look at 5h and then make sense of 850s and such. A lot of flowing pieces, I.e. PV, the high up in Canada and all the players on the field. What I was ultimately attempting to get at was the pac energy looked better when comparing it to the gfs at the same time range. What are your thoughts? 

7 minutes ago, msuwx said:

More likely than not most here won’t want the initial rain producing disturbance before the CAD sets in to be too strong because that may disrupt the ensuing second piece Thu into Fri.  I have a hunch one of them will end up being markedly dominant.  If its the first one then the event Thu or Fri is probably confined mostly to GA and that’s it 

21 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Eh my bad on that. Very volatile setup with trying to look at 5h and then make sense of 850s and such. A lot of flowing pieces, I.e. PV, the high up in Canada and all the players on the field. What I was ultimately attempting to get at was the pac energy looked better when comparing it to the gfs at the same time range. What are your thoughts? 

Yeah, that is not a bad look for the NAM. Need the backside portion of that vorticity to dig down from there as it moves across the plains 

14 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

More likely than not most here won’t want the initial rain producing disturbance before the CAD sets in to be too strong because that may disrupt the ensuing second piece Thu into Fri.  I have a hunch one of them will end up being markedly dominant.  If its the first one then the event Thu or Fri is probably confined mostly to GA and that’s it 

Agreed. I think most want that second piece of energy depicted there to be the dominant one. 

Super Scientist Webber on Twitter: 

EPS suite is starting to sniff out yet another threat for wintry wx in the Carolinas by Wed of this week as a broad area of low pressure rides along an increasingly diffuse arctic front offshore & allows light-moderate precip to overrun a prominent low-level arctic airmass

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived