Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 22-23 Snow/Ice Observations

moneypitmike

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Had a 2-3” diameter oak branch fall literally 2ft to the side of me while trying to snowblow the end of the driveway. 

Never again will I let the pack absorb the ZR. What a freakin mess.

Lots of gunshots out in the woods with the sound of crumbling ice behind it.

I'm a little jelly. No gunshots here, but I also haven't been outside much.  

Eversource is almost up to 15,000 outages.

44 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Still at 30.7*.

This may be a sign that your sensor is running 1-2F too cold. With thermal advection shut off everyone should be rotting around 32-33F except exposed higher elevations. I see everyone in your county is at 32-33F...even at 1150ft. Then there's your ob of 30F mixed in with them on mesowest. Latent heating/cooling from freezing/melting is what makes everyone rot at that 32F point.

I've thought for a long time that the RWIS sites near me need to be calibrated (even though Plym faculty tell me they're fine). I've long thought Sanbornton was 1F too cold and Canterbury 3F too warm. Sure enough, SBN is 31F and CAN is 35F right now while I'm at 31.9F. Even 1350' at Gunstock is 32F.

I spend the afternoon down in the CT River Valley helping my folks.  Amazing differences between this side of the mountain and the other.  We had glazing earlier but temps poked up enough to allow that to melt for the most part.  Saw no difference riding up to 1K but immediately on the eastern side you could see the glazing as I descended down into the valley.  Side roads were still slushy and their driveway was a sheet of ice.  Glazing wasn't significant but enough to be an issue.

What's interesting to me is that stations around there (Enfield/Somers) are reporting similar temps to ones around here but there is much less melting there compared to here.

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I spend the afternoon down in the CT River Valley helping my folks.  Amazing differences between this side of the mountain and the other.  We had glazing earlier but temps poked up enough to allow that to melt for the most part.  Saw no difference riding up to 1K but immediately on the eastern side you could see the glazing as I descended down into the valley.  Side roads were still slushy and their driveway was a sheet of ice.  Glazing wasn't significant but enough to be an issue.

What's interesting to me is that stations around there (Enfield/Somers) are reporting similar temps to ones around here but there is much less melting there compared to here.

If you scroll back a bit see my crazy experience earlier. 

I have now dropped to 31.8 and it is treacherous on street and driveway. I wish someone could explain what happened here earlier 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you scroll back a bit see my crazy experience earlier. 

I have now dropped to 31.8 and it is treacherous on street and driveway. I wish someone could explain what happened here earlier 

The low level boundary went through. ORH "mixed out" a bit and is dropping again with a WSW wind. Their pressure bottomed out at 29.63" and is starting to rise again too. The models had it passing through there a couple hours before 00z.

Archived