Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 22-23 Snow/Ice Observations

moneypitmike

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

So riddle me this... we just switched over to full massive aggregates for a time within the past half hour at Stowe.  Everyone freaked out thinking maybe it was going to snow from here on out but now back to literally all three p-types of IP/ZR/SN.  Aside from the aggregates we saw, the snow has been very small flakes, almost like being formed under the warm layer.

Is that warm layer so shallow that it can mix out at times?  That's the only thing that could've just caused a burst of almost all snow and flakes the size of your palm.

I’ll have to look. If MWN was getting ZRPL at -3C then that warm layer is way up there. Models have H85 around +1-2C up there around 18z. Some stronger lift must be moving through to give you a little extra diabatic cooling to flip over. And yeah, you may be forming some under the warm layer as well. MWN is back down to 23F.

48 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Between 3/16" and 1/4" here best I can tell. Pines sagging some

About the same here.

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's really interesting that the lower Valley has stayed colder than the upper valley.   Must have something to do with topography?

It's weird how you warmed at the rate you did in this.

Just now, dendrite said:

I’ll have to look. If MWN was getting ZRPL at -3C then that warm layer is way up there. Models have H85 around +1-2C up there around 18z. Some stronger lift must be moving through to give you a little extra diabatic cooling to flip over. And yeah, you may be forming some under the warm layer as well. MWN is back down to 23F.

Seems like Alex's cam is showing mangled flakes but its hard to tell since sometimes large raindrops appear as snow.  He's 35.2F.   What time are we expecting fropa to come through VT into C NH?  My temp has stopped rising.  31.5F

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Its weird we are now over to all snow.  Legit snow.

Looks like MVL ASOS just went over to 3sm -SN now.  They had been 5-8sm visibility in ZR for several hours but now visibility lowering and -SN observed.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

just lost power and heard a transformer blow. fml

Jeez,  now my power is flickering too.  Just ticked up to 32.2F so just in time for some melting.  Hope you get it back fairly soon.  No power in the winter is no fun.  At least super cold doesn't come in for a few days.

Archived