Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 22-23 Snow/Ice Observations

moneypitmike

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dryslot said:

That net will be sagging to the ground later.

It started sagging earlier so I put a board up to support it in the center. The funny thing is that it actually seems to be gaining strength with the more glaze that accretes. It’ll probably tear at the walls of the run from the weight of the ice first. I was going to shake it to break the ice off, but I’m devilishly intrigued.

Up to 31.5F.   Trees seem fine.  White Pines sagging somewhat.  I am surprised with temps that started out around 23F and were in the upper 20's most of the AM that there is not more ice on the trees.  I'm curious if I keep slowly rising or kind of rot at this temp.

Oh, total snowfall from yesterday was 5.75".  Just about a foot on the ground.  Should add to that on Monday then the Arctic freezer.  Deep winter up here.  If E Mass rains on Monday there will surely be a big snow gradient between SNE and us in CNE north.

20171223_123818.jpg

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Interesting to see MWN flip back to moderate snow and no mixing.

So riddle me this... we just switched over to full massive aggregates for a time within the past half hour at Stowe.  Everyone freaked out thinking maybe it was going to snow from here on out but now back to literally all three p-types of IP/ZR/SN.  Aside from the aggregates we saw, the snow has been very small flakes, almost like being formed under the warm layer.

Is that warm layer so shallow that it can mix out at times?  That's the only thing that could've just caused a burst of almost all snow and flakes the size of your palm.

Archived