Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 Snow/Ice Observations

moneypitmike

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

It's really just about understanding the type of snow, and your own car.

Wet snow is way more unpredictable, the slushy crap, because it is inconsistent. 

Dry stuff and can drive on pretty predictably. 

Biggest tip when traveling, follow the path of previous cars and ignore the road markings. (When the snow is really heavy)

Not sure what kind of car you have.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Popping your cherry? Nice, just remember when you slide, no brakes turn in the direction of the slide

It's a Prius. Thanks for tips, y'all!

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What an evening... snowing beneath the radar with heavier bursts.  Great snow growth so the flakes have been quarter-sized for most of this system!

Just shoveled and already coating it back up.  Tomorrow will bring some rain, but the pack should absorb it for a white Christmas.

Our 00z sounding was basically between -10 and -8C through 700 mb, so any orographic lift would be enough to produce dendrites as long as you're saturated.

41 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Good luck!

29 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Put snows on that thing before you're forced to go out in a legit snowstorm. Today is a joke as far as driving is concerned. 

You know that a Prius is not known for it's snow handling, right? 

We have 3.5" here with 19.6 degrees.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

What an evening... snowing beneath the radar with heavier bursts.  Great snow growth so the flakes have been quarter-sized for most of this system!

Just shoveled and already coating it back up.  Tomorrow will bring some rain, but the pack should absorb it for a white Christmas.

You guys aren't getting any rain out of this system lol, below 32 through the xmas storm

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

It's a Prius. Thanks for tips, y'all!

Having just driven a Prius through some +SN on Route 16 in NH …

1. If you don't already have them, get snow tires. 

2. And get tire chains. You may only need them once a year, but that makes the difference between getting up the hill or out of the snow bank and not. Especially with a Prius. You have a ton of torque at low speed thanks to the electric motor, chains allow you to use it. $40 for piece of mind. I haven't used mine, but I lent them to someone who drove in to a snowbank last year.

3. Buy a full size shovel and put it in your car until … well, hopefully May, but at least April. Flatter the better (easier to store, easier to get under the car). Make sure it's all plastic, so you can use it to clear snow off the car

Exchange at hardware store buying one (someone misplaced my car shovel from last year):
Me: Gotta get a shovel for my car.

Salesman: Oh, we have these car-sized shovels, too.

Me: No, I'd like to actually be able to move snow.

To echo other posters, go slow, go in a straight line, follow the clear parts of roads, be very careful changing lanes across "windrows" of snow between lanes (and when you do so, go at a steady pace and a low attack angle, keep applying even acceleration), leave lots of room in front of you, especially if someone is tailgating, and when some moron passes you at 60 mph in deep snow and you seem them in a ditch a few miles later, be sure to crack a smile.

Archived