Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ukie has that same stream interaction going with the lakes energy that the euro had. No doubt that's a good hit. 

Ignoring the gfs for a minute (or longer) everything is so close to an epic solution. Just need that trough to dig a little more and phase cleaner and boom. I'm not worried about a cut west. If anything it would be an epic clash if it tried. The cold is pretty locked in. Even if we went to mix it would take an epic WAA thump first probably to erode that airmass. 

I'm not saying I won't take 6-10" and run but how often is something epic on the table. We have the ingredients just need it to come together better. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ukmet is quite a bit slower. Cmc is well off the coast by 144. That's a good thing could allow the upper levels to catch up and phase better after 144. Either way it's not the gfs. 

Agreed, Ukmet is more amped up than the CMC, since it doesn't split the west coast ridge and send a shortwave into BC at 132hrs.

It's keeping me from freaking out over the GFS

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

0z GEFS is certainly better than the 18z. Like I said before, it's not uncommon for the ensemble to follow it's op counterpart, but it's a good comeback nonetheless. 

Ironically in a perfect world the gefs would follow the op because both would be accurate. Unfortunately we know they don't mirror each other because the op is always dead on. So we need the ensemble members to be adequately perturbed such that they show us enough of the "other" possible permutations. An ensemble is useless if it's just a bunch of operational minions. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Damn, ukie is sweet. This is the second panel of precip in our region. Plenty more to come afterwards. Ukie would be a big or even epic storm. 

ukmet_6hr_precip_conus_144.png

And it knows where to put that little enhanced dot of qpf lol.  It confirms what I thought. Didn't really need to see the qpf. The qpf is one of the least accurate guidance especially from that range.  From 100+ let me see the h5 and mslp and I can fill in the rest. That said that's still a beaut to look at. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteoutWX said:

Anyone have temps on that? The low looks pretty tucked into the coast, without much of an HP feed to the northwest.  

Don't have temps but it's a clean handoff from TN to the nc/sc border. Wedged hp in front. No way we lose the column imho. Maybe briefly before the ccb takes over. 

The low is just getting going in that postion and not very strong yet. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Don't have temps but it's a clean handoff from TN to the nc/sc border. Wedged hp upstream. No way we lose the column imho. Maybe briefly before the ccb takes over. 

Fair enough, always hard to tell what the Ukie shows with such limited maps available. MSLP just looked a little close to the coast on that panel.

37 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Gotta be right because it has the lower Eastern shore as the bullseye.

Isn't that map a bit odd?   It has the typical upslope on the wstern side of the mtns as the nrn stream does its thing, and the impact on the DELMARVA from the low spinning up.  But the higher elevations of WVA, MD and PA in between (including the Allegheny Plateau) gets much lighter accumulations. Don't see that a lot, especially when there appears to be some good LE going on, which often bleeds over to the south.  

This is why I think the ukie would be fine temp wise. At least fine enough for the vast majority of precip being snow. 

ukmet_mslp_conus_138.png

There is no developed low west of the apps or off the coast 6 hours before. It's just a big wave of overunning that is just starting to develop a real low off the coast. 

No primary tracks west of the apps and the dominant low is off the coast. Even though it looks tucked it's still only just getting going at 144. We know the antecedent air mass is going to be very cold. There will be a battle with waa so some sort of mix line is moving north. My guess is it doesn't get north of central VA. Once the low passes our latitude we cranking on the cold side no matter what. 

The precip panels leading in don't show heavy precip west of the apps so like amped said...it looks a bit like the 0z gfs last nighr. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

This is why I think the ukie would be fine temp wise. At least fine enough for the vast majority of precip being snow. 

ukmet_mslp_conus_138.png

There is no developed low west of the apps or off the coast 6 hours before. It's just a big wave of overunning that is just starting to develop a real low off the coast. 

No primary tracks west of the apps and the dominant low is off the coast. Even though it looks tucked it's still only just getting going at 144. We know the antecedent air mass I'd going to be very cold. There will be a battle with waa so some sort of mix line is moving north. My guess is it doesn't get north of central VA. Once the low passes our latitude we cranking on the cold side no matter what. 

That map is all I needed to see. Agreed it should be ok with that look.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived