Newest Member
    Dano62
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It was a junior version of 12z yesterday. Lots of upside with the progression. Zero temp worries. Backside would be high ratio. .5-.8 qpf for all. Would pile up nicely. 

Bob, does it have nice overrunning down my way and the Carolinas as well before it transfers and does it get ccb back this way or is it too late out this way?

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Feb/Mar 2015 so not too far back. Time of year seals the deal. This would be around till the inevitable Jan thaw. 

True,  my memory sucks but it seems like drip drip happens fast lately. Be nice to hang onto some pack for a minute

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Glad to see we're all on the same page. 

Good run. Win in my book. Leaves the door open to something bigger too. 

Upper level stuff swings through and drops another inch for that extra appeal. I know there is upside here but if this event happened it would be 6-12" for everyone in the sub followed by the deep freeze. Perfect way to close the year. 

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Bob, does it have nice overrunning down my way and the Carolinas as well before it transfers and does it get ccb back this way or is it too late out this way?

I don't know your climo well but it looks like a high end event for the norther half of NC. Especially piedmont and west. Too far south for the coastal bombing but you make up for it with perfect overunning conditions and lots of moisture. 

We get a lull in storms like this. Our overunning tails as the coastal winds up. You guys would never lull. It would come in, dump half a foot+, then shut off. Party down south dude

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Upper level stuff swings through and drops another inch for that extra appeal. I know there is upside here but if this event happened it would be 6-12" for everyone in the sub followed by the deep freeze. Perfect way to close the year. 

I'd take this for sure. But it wouldn't take much to turn into a bigger event either. It phases just a tad late this run. 

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

True,  my memory sucks but it seems like drip drip happens fast lately. Be nice to hang onto some pack for a minute

That's probably my only complaint with all the big storms we've had since 09-10. They seem to time with the end of the cold pattern. Feb can melt pavement with ease even in the 20's during the day. This particular event (if it happens) brings back thoughts of some of the storms we had in the 80's. Big staying power. Although Feb Mar 03 was pretty special for late season stuff. It was still late season. I want snow in between lanes on the roads for 5 days. Relive the good ole days 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro hints at the potential day 11 storm the gefs was all over too. 

There's potential in between the two as well. That's the saving grace here. All models show a parade of pac shortwaves every 2-3 days. It would take excessive bad luck to swing and miss everything before things shuffle. 

The pattern isn't going to last forever, I have no doubts a relax will come in mid January. The question is does it relax and reload like we just went through or a true flip to a permanent warm pattern. 

Looking at the day 15 ensembles I'm not sure I believe a flip. It looks kind of similar to what we are dealing with now. The dominant features of winter so far seem intact but the guidance is trying to dump a trough into the SW again. That idea has been fought off several times already. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a relaxation before reload not a permanent flip when we do warm up. 

6 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hopefully the EPS support the OP... would be nice to see that

Were at d5-6 so still beyond decent skill for the ops. I'm sure there will be some support for the op but buried in the spread will be the typical upside and swing/misses. The things I'm most interested in is how much support there is for a west track or a phase. Gefs showed virutally no west tracks and a couple bombs. Would love to see the eps support a phase/bomb. The op was very close. 

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

10:1 heh I want that elusive unicorn 15:1 ratio

With that setup, I'd imagine the average would be closer to 12:1 and someone (I can guess who!) in banding structures would probably get periods of 15:1 or even a little better.  

Euro has lows near zero (sub-zero N/W) on the morning of the 2nd.  lol

ecmwf_t2m_maryland_240.png

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The pattern isn't going to last forever, I have no doubts a relax will come in mid January. The question is does it relax and reload like we just went through or a true flip to a permanent warm pattern. 

Looking at the day 15 ensembles I'm not sure I believe a flip. It looks kind of similar to what we are dealing with now. The dominant features of winter so far seem intact but the guidance is trying to dump a trough into the SW again. That idea has been fought off several times already. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a relaxation before reload not a permanent flip when we do warm up. 

The eps is showing a consolidated trop pv centered in the Arctic by the end the last few runs. Is what it is but the ao/nao forecasts have been terrible this year beyond 7-10 days. We probably won't know where things are going for mid Jan until the end of Dec. If we score big and things go to crap I really won't care. This is shaping up the best early tracking season we've had since I joined eastern in 06. It hasn't been boring one single time since before thanksgiving. I can understand the western and some nova folks not sharing the same enthusiasm yet though. Hopefully that changes here over the next 10 days. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

HM had a chart up on on Twitter and he said that if you want to know the temps for Jan simply look at the last 5 year mean which I believe, if memory serves me correctly,  was cold beginning of every Jan most of the last 5 years then climbing up and up then a turn down.  

To avoid a Jan thaw would be almost inconcievable to most. I still see the basic concensus among most mets a warm up is coming by the second week in Jan., On a side note I see growing mentions that March may be cold .

Of course following the concensus in our hobby can prove rather frustrating at the best of times. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived