Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Just now, WhiteoutWX said:

Big phase over center of the country still not good for the snow purists out there. Only reason this run started better than 18z was increased confluence out ahead initially. A big phase solution will quickly boot that HP over Canada to the east. 12z GFS was really the best case scenario I’ve seen. Still a lot on the front end with this iteration but for those looking to avoid rain, this run ain’t it. 

Very close to a clean transfer where we what it. For 7 days leads we'll continue with multiple iterations but this run was a trend towards a flatter solution. Has that kind of feel but that's just my gut. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll add that I agree with others that have said earlier that the persistence forecaster would go with the less phased, less amped scenarios, as that has been the pattern so far this cold season. Which would overall be better for most, if you want all snow (or at least no rain).

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Very close to a clean transfer where we what it. For 7 days leads we'll continue with multiple iterations but this run was a trend towards a flatter solution. Has that kind of feel but that's just my gut. 

Definitely plenty of time to change! 

Gefs looked pretty good. A lot more coastal jumpers at a decent or not terrible latitude. 18z didn't have that cluster and it's the most prominent one now. My hunch might be right. 

GEFS through hr 240 is the best so far. Looking at individual members, less rain options

Gefs looked pretty good. A lot more coastal jumpers at a decent or not terrible latitude. 18z didn't have that cluster and it's the most prominent one now. My hunch might be right. 

I think we have a chance at some wintry precip late next week.  All we can say for now. Taking the cautious approach.  

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

I don't like coastal jumpers as the tend to leave dry slots in between.  I am in between.  

Not these kinds. It's a hybrid and would be juiced up good as it approaches. The crappy ones are the dry northern stream ones that don't get going good until off the coast. The one we're seeing now are good hits well before a transfer and no lull or dryslot if the primary doesn't get into WV.

This is a nice panel here. 18z had nothing of the sort. 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_37.png

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Not these kinds. It's a hybrid and would be juiced up good as it approaches. The crappy ones are the dry northern stream ones that don't get going good until off the coast. The one we're seeing now are good hits well before a transfer and no lull or dryslot if the primary doesn't get into WV.

This is a nice panel here. 18z had nothing of the sort. 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_37.png

My mistake.  I was thinking the normal jumpers.  Temps are another matter I suppose.  Waiting for Euro

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

My mistake.  I was thinking the normal jumpers.  Temps are another matter I suppose.  Waiting for Euro

Don't worry about temps. Focus on track. A good track and temps are good. A west track is what screws us at some point. Gefs supports a great track. 

My biggest and only worry is no storm at all. If there's precip we're getting winter wx. All rain is the least likely outcome. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived