Newest Member
    Dano62
December 24-25 Snow Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Using the trusty eyeball method, it looks like 4-6" fell here. Not seeing many 6"+ reports from across the area on twitter. Storm zipped by too quickly and LE band was too transient.

Still a beautiful wintry morning.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Managed to pull off just over 8" here. Lots of drifting but I'm confident in that measurement (rounded down a bit). Was able to stay in the LE band for the entire event. Staying at my parents place in north Oakville, it almost never happens that we jackpot. Took a good hour and a half to dig out! Easily the most I've ever shovelled on Xmas. 

Merry Christmas to all!

IMG_1918.thumb.JPG.8219d7a657a843a384b84e54d5b084c4.JPG

Probably 1" here, just enough to make for a beautiful white Christmas.

Apologies if it's off topic, but does anyone know if the HRRR, RAP & similar short-term, hi-res models have some sort of bias towards colder temperatures? I ask because the two are dead-set on -15 degrees air temperature in Chicagoland tomorrow morning while the Nam 3k has a more-believable ~0 degrees.

Another wave now coming tonight is further south than Saturday night's, is going to add to Northern MO snowcover, and will miss us entirely which is a shame. I would like to see a "touch up" job to the snow on the ground, which has now blown around into piles and patches amid lots of bare ground in the concrete jungle I'm in.

A couple of today's models included us in the northern edge of the precip shield and Radar trends are being flurry-ish but I'm afraid it's just not going to be close enough

Tried driving to Lansing Michigan last night on 94 but Lake Effect band was following us, lol.  

Traffic was going 5 mph,  nightmare. We finally pulled over in Paw Paw and slept for a few hours before heading out this morning.  Had to be the hardest I've seen it snow.  

48369.jpeg

48373.jpeg

12 hours ago, IthielZ said:

Those snow squalls were awesome today. A sunny, bright Christmas morning with fresh powder quickly turning to blizzard-like conditions for the afternoon made for one of the more wintery Christmases in recent memory.

Yes it was. I guess I could have posted in the lake effect thread but sometimes it gets confusing lol.

So with the main clipper Christmas Eve I got 4.5" of powder. Then another brief burst of snow Christmas morning dropped 0.2". Thereafter the heavy snow squalls set up well north of Detroit and we were sunny and frigid much of the day. Then during the late afternoon we got a couple heavy squalls and then a steady snow set in as a 94 band snaked across the state much of the night. We picked up another 1.5" of snow from this. So the total Dec 24-26 snow was 6.2" imby and 6.1" at DTW. Roads were very treacherous with snow and ice packed pavement as temps plunged towards zero. Its a winter wonderland tundra out there!

Tried driving to Lansing Michigan last night on 94 but Lake Effect band was following us, lol.  
Traffic was going 5 mph,  nightmare. We finally pulled over in Paw Paw and slept for a few hours before heading out this morning.  Had to be the hardest I've seen it snow.  

48369.thumb.jpeg.126b59b66e0b7933ac6a920398fb23de.jpeg
48373.thumb.jpeg.01fed22c518aba356d3dc635dbaf3fc9.jpeg
We need some of that in chicago, lots of it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yes it was. I guess I could have posted in the lake effect thread but sometimes it gets confusing lol.

So with the main clipper Christmas Eve I got 4.5" of powder. Then another brief burst of snow Christmas morning dropped 0.2". Thereafter the heavy snow squalls set up well north of Detroit and we were sunny and frigid much of the day. Then during the late afternoon we got a couple heavy squalls and then a steady snow set in as a 94 band snaked across the state much of the night. We picked up another 1.5" of snow from this. So the total Dec 24-26 snow was 6.2" imby and 6.1" at DTW. Roads were very treacherous with snow and ice packed pavement as temps plunged towards zero. Its a winter wonderland tundra out there!

Josh had his snow magnet delivered:

D10870613-hr.jpg

10 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Josh had his snow magnet delivered:

D10870613-hr.jpg

:lmao: I wish it was that easy lol. Definitely have been on a hot streak to start this winter, compared to most other areas, but it looks like we will be in a mostly dry deepfreeze like everyone else for a little while. The snow is literally frozen to the streets too, so its tundra-town. Pics of the above mentioned squalls from Christmas afternoon.

25659505_10109511016059393_8902924724768

26000878_10109511016293923_3506433639843

25659617_10109511016613283_3860272463217

Archived