Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 24-25 Snow Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's been snowing for 2 1/2 hrs now, but still not up to 1" yet. Looks like lots of plates and columns. Hopefully we will get some large dendrite action going later.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm kind of talking to myself here right now. Lol I have family coming in later so may not be able to check in much. Good luck to all in getting a White Christmas.

19 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Good to hear from you! Happy holidays to you too! Sounds like you're due to get about the same as here. Don't be a stranger!

Hey Butch! Hope all is well. And yeah, looks like we’ll be doing about the same with this event...which isn’t half bad. Snowing nicely here right now. :D

Snow started here last hour. GRR NWS just upped the snow totals in our WWA from 3 to 5 to now 5 to 7 inches by tomorrow pm.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS
EVENING TO 7 PM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Snow and blowing snow expected. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 7 inches are
  expected.

* WHERE...Portions of southwest and west central Michigan.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 7 PM EST Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 40 mph will
  cause patchy blowing and drifting snow.

---------

And, then this: :) (I will gladly take 8 to 12 inches of snow for Christmas!)

24Dec2017_ChristmasTotal.png

Visiting the parents for the holidays, about 30 mins west of Toronto. May actually pull off 6-8" thanks to lake enhanced easterly flow as the low slides just to my south. Ended up right in the jackpot zone. 

Also worth noting the largest recorded Christmas Eve snowfall for Toronto is 1.4". Should smash that record tonight!

What a great Xmas gift!

6EC279A1-A6A1-4041-B404-6BD112B94CFA-3248-00000210544A73EE.png

2 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

I see radar hallucinations are still a thing. :lol:

Anyways, this Christmas miracle brought me out of retirement/hibernation for a post. Liking 3-5" here in IKK, which is pretty awesome. To all receiving snow today, enjoy! And happy holidays to all.  

My word, do my eyes deceive?!  

Decent system with perfect timing.  I have been having some flashbacks to 2002... of course that one snuck up a bit more.

Nice dusting of snow at Noon already here between Jackson and Ann Arbor.  Expecting this storm to over perform a bit locally and tomorrow might prove to be especially interesting with snow squalls/convergence band setting up somewhere near I-94.   Not looking forward to driving to a Christmas party near Warren this evening!

This might explain flake size issues to this point.

hrrr_2017122415_001_40.75--89_49.thumb.png.1684874e737b72f9a11b29a1fd53c1af.png

This was the HRRR valid near Peoria last hour.  Pretty deep layer of omega but most of it is above the DGZ (the yellow highlighted area on the red line for anyone who doesn't know).  I believe cyclone may have touched on this last night.  Either not enough attention was paid or perhaps the forecast soundings leading up to this had better co-location of omega in the DGZ.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This might explain flake size issues to this point.

hrrr_2017122415_001_40.75--89_49.thumb.png.1684874e737b72f9a11b29a1fd53c1af.png

This was the HRRR valid near Peoria last hour.  Pretty deep layer of omega but most of it is above the DGZ (the yellow highlighted area on the red line for anyone who doesn't know).  I believe cyclone may have touched on this last night.  Either not enough attention was paid or perhaps the forecast soundings leading up to this had better co-location of omega in the DGZ.

Now here's a 00z NAM forecast sounding for the same location, but valid an hour earlier (15z).

Deeper DGZ on the NAM but more importantly, better omega in the DGZ.  

5a3fe24f80e09_2017122400_NAM_015_40.75-89.49_severe_ml.thumb.png.30cccf829dd748ddcbefc3a9cbd22ac0.png

Snowing very nicely here in West Michigan. Flakes are medium-sized. Not big dendrites, but certainly not the smallest that has fallen in these parts. That will come later this week when the air is cold and dry and we get Pixie dust lake effect snow. Definitely snowing moderate to heavily...Not quite to an inch yet, but getting there quickly. Nice to have our existing snowpack looking fresh again.

Archived