• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

Yeah you'll be seeing big time problems once you get to a half inch of ice. That's when they started in the 2008 ice storm roughly...or even a bit before that around 3/8ths. It's just it kept getting worse and worse...most people were without power by 11pm that night and we prob got another half inch of ice after that at minimum....maybe 3/4th.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Minenfeld! said:

What does the flatness of the wave refer to and why does it matter?

Since we do not have Atl blocking, there is nothing to stop the wave from amplifying out west, but if it remains "flatter", then jt won't gain as much atitude,  which will keep it colder as it stays just south and east of us. 

15 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

My NWS p/c has rain and 51F for Saturday, which is above freezing the last time I checked. 

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the high temp number, since that will be fairly brief. Most folks should pay more attention to the hourly temps, though BOX does have you getting to 49.

9 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

A half inch of ice isn't that big a deal really. Once you push beyond 3/4" then you have to start worrying.  Most of the weak limbs were thinned out in 2008 and Snowtober in 2011. Plus the power companies have been way more proactive in trimming which would help.  At least in this area. 

Half inch is a big deal. Most power companies start having problems with the lines at 0.3"-0.4"

4 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

What does the flatness of the wave refer to and why does it matter?

Flat just describes the height/jet stream orientation across North America. The more this trends towards zonal (west to east) east of the EPO ridge the better. If the flow is amplified that means a big dump of cold east of the EPO ridge and west of us, and a counterbalancing response of warm air surging north ahead the cold air.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the high temp number, since that will be fairly brief. Most folks should pay more attention to the hourly temps, though BOX does have you getting to 49.

Half inch is a big deal. Most power companies start having problems with the lines at 0.3"-0.4"

Right now they say rain after 10pm on Friday night for Enfield.

1 minute ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Right now they say rain after 10pm on Friday night for Enfield.

See my post right after you.

In fact if you take a look at the NAM 3km (caveats I know) 2 m temps you can see a likely scenario for Friday night. Temps at BDL just sort of bounce around from 29 to 30 as the mesolow pulses.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Actually even the often maligned GFS shows a similar evolution.

It brings BDL up to 36 at 03z Saturday, but at 06z it pops a closed MSLP contour over FMH and the temp falls to 33.

Over central MA and prob E MA more than 5-8 miles off the coast I'd slice like 5-8F off the guidance temps for Friday night overnight. You can prob extend that into N RI and parts of N CT and SE NH.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Over central MA and prob E MA more than 5-8 miles off the coast I'd slice like 5-8F off the guidance temps for Friday night overnight. You can prob extend that into N RI and parts of N CT and SE NH.

At 03z Saturday BDL has a 15 knot ageostrophic wind from 350 degrees. That oscillates around 10-15 knots through at least 15z. Explain to me the mechanism to get them into the 40s. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

At 03z Saturday BDL has a 15 knot ageostrophic wind from 350 degrees. That oscillates around 10-15 knots through at least 15z. Explain to me the mechanism to get them into the 40s. 

the Rev would say , stick to your gut. Meteorology not modelology.

Its nice, even as an amateur knowing the models bias's

3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Might this set-up be more of a sleet-fest for NW areas rather than ice?  

Forecast soundings now don't have a real deep surface cold layer, so that would argue no, but that could definitely change as we near the event too. Sleet just tends to be such a narrow zone and rarely long duration. It seems to more end up crappy snow mixed with freezing rain.

Archived