Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha we have threads for 100 of pages of posts for storms and then you look at that image you post and get 12" of snow.... and its like WTF?

Exactly. Massive COASTAL BLIZZARD OF EPIC PROPORTIONS....4" in the Greens with A LOT OF WIND. Fart over the Great Lakes  - 12" of perfect 3% snow and no wind.  I'm rarely every totally surprised for weather events in the Northern Greens. But this one I would have NEVER guessed. Even when the radar signature was good last night at 7PM I was like, well that's 3-4" inches. Not 12"....that's just bananas. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, adk said:

Exactly. Massive COASTAL BLIZZARD OF EPIC PROPORTIONS....4" in the Greens with A LOT OF WIND. Fart over the Great Lakes  - 12" of perfect 3% snow and no wind.  I'm rarely every totally surprised for weather events in the Northern Greens. But this one I would have NEVER guessed. Even when the radar signature was good last night at 7PM I was like, well that's 3-4" inches. Not 12"....that's just bananas. 

Hearing lots of reports of 18" along the Kitchen Wall area...similar to what our mutual friend discussed.

Even the glades down into the Notch...photo from a friend.  Just got blasted with pow last night.

26167032_10211151752211983_1876351203150

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hearing lots of reports of 18" along the Kitchen Wall area...similar to what our mutual friend discussed.

Even the glades down into the Notch...photo from a friend.  Just got blasted with pow last night.

26167032_10211151752211983_1876351203150

Yea, with blowover and the couple of inches from the weekend, I'm sure we're into that 12-18" range in some spots. 

8 minutes ago, adk said:

Yea, with blowover and the couple of inches from the weekend, I'm sure we're into that 12-18" range in some spots. 

Now the "big blizzard" will destroy it and wind-pack out.  Could probably pick up another 6-8" when the wind blows all the snow out of the trees, lol.

I posted the below in the storm thread on Monday:

One factor to remember with this and all other storms this season is that this is my winter and everyone else is just living in it.  All the snow stolen over the past decade is being returned, all the whiffs and underperformers of yore are all being whiped clean.  It is my season and all of the snow shall be mine.  All the clippers over perform, the coastals give me a deform band, the cold is unrelenting, the cutters slide trend south, and the pack grows evermore!

I am only half joking.

hqdefault.jpg

I don't care what most of the models are showing today.  I expect 8 to 11 inches tomorrow.  If I get less I am fine with that as the driveway does not need its piles to grow and we still have ice on everything from the 23rd and I am fine with not losing power.  I fully expect to get a deformation band to hit us.  I would point this out in the main thread again but lacking science to back it up (does the 3k NAM count as science?) I will keep this truth out of there.

1 minute ago, klw said:

I posted the below in the storm thread on Monday:

I don't care what most of the models are showing today.  I expect 8 to 11 inches tomorrow.  If I get less I am fine with that as the driveway does not need its piles to grow and we still have ice on everything from the 23rd and I am fine with not losing power.  I fully expect to get a deformation band to hit us.  I would point this out in the main thread again but lacking science to back it up (does the 3k NAM count as science?) I will keep this truth out of there.

3km nam/Deep Thunder vs every other model every created...what could go wrong? :lol:

Could be a nowcast situation up to go time, but most guidance points to east=best.

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

3km nam/Deep Thunder vs every other model every created...what could go wrong? :lol:

Could be a nowcast situation up to go time, but most guidance points to east=best.

I am pretty sure Deep Thunder is the working title for Top Gun 2.

Ha I got a shout out in the afternoon AFD from BTV.  Can't believe Taber actually wrote that in there, lol.

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
As of 255 PM EST Wednesday...An active pattern expected as battle
between arctic air and modified Pacific air develops across the
CONUS...with several system anticipated to impact our
region...as the Gulf of Mexico becomes open for business.
Saturday/Saturday Night...well advertised cold airmass across
our region with 925mb temps btwn -28c and -33c. The combination
of building 1040mb high pres over Ohio Valley and departing sub
970mb low pres over the Canadian Maritime will continue to
produce brisk northwest sfc winds of 10 to 20 mph with localized
higher gusts Saturday...especially with progged 850mb winds of
25 to 35 knots. Dangerously cold wind chills continue on
Saturday...hopefully PF enjoyed the fresh 12 inches today on
Mansfield. However...as 1040mb crests overhead by 06z
Sunday...expect winds to quickly weaken by 00z Sunday and become
light trrn driven. These light winds combined with fresh snow
cover...and mainly clear skies temps will quickly drop. Expect
highs only -5f to -15f on Sat...with lows -15f to -30f Sat
night...with some values near -35f SLK/NEK and deeper/protected
valleys.

4 hours ago, eyewall said:

Some interesting notes in the afternoon BTV discussion on possible CPV convergence and a meso band may set up somewhere over VT. Ratios will be an issue when it gets too cold for the 15-20:1 dendrites.

I really like the chance for BTV in this set-up.  I think you get some good Champlain Valley convergence on the VT side of the lake. The flow looks blocked so western slopes back to BTV looks like a good bet.

The other thing is with the temps so cold, the snow growth is literally at the surface which is good for that meso-scale stuff as blocked flow and CPV convergence lift occurs relatively low in the atmosphere.

My call was 2-4" in Stowe, maybe even less because NE to NNW winds are not very favorable here at all...probably the worst direction in general is out of the due north.  But that is a good wind for convergence at BTV as all that cyclonic moisture up in southern Quebec will get funneled south into the CPV.  I was thinking 4-7" there.  Even with open lake water and arctic air, every little extra moisture will help.

I am sticking with my 8 to 11 for home and am anticipating the NWS mid-storm upgrade to a WSW for Windsor and Orange counties to come around noon though it could come later.  Light snow started at home around 7:15 or so.

91 in Thetford looks quite snowy

2313fe23dd610ad86f921f68ca7627e2.jpg?d=1

Unfortunately on the BTV NWS advisories map, the upcoming Wind Chill Warnings are overriding the Winter Weather Advisory areas in VT and NY and disrupting the ability to fully visualize the storm-related alerts, but the projected accumulations map has changed a bit, so I’ve posted that below. 

Our point forecast in Waterbury has generally gone up a bit with each of the updates and sums to the 6-10” range though Saturday.  That’s not quite going to synch up with the projected accumulations map below since the map is only covering through 7:00 A.M. tomorrow morning, but it seems to be generally in line with the point forecast through tomorrow morning.

04JAN18A.jpg

1 hour ago, klw said:

12Z NAM and GFS boost the amounts in VT, HRRR keeps the heaviest just to the east.

Going to be hard to get more than 3-6" here in the CPV I think. Snow growth is just garbage. 

I think Jay/Smuggs get into that 6-10" range.  They do better with more northerly winds. 

There is an upslope signal that kicks in on Friday but, man is it hard to judge. Dendrite growth layer at that time is off the charts - as in its too cold for good dendrite growth. So again who knows. Could be 4" of sticks, sand, and pellets 

35 minutes ago, adk said:

Going to be hard to get more than 3-6" here in the CPV I think. Snow growth is just garbage. 

I think Jay/Smuggs get into that 6-10" range.  They do better with more northerly winds. 

There is an upslope signal that kicks in on Friday but, man is it hard to judge. Dendrite growth layer at that time is off the charts - as in its too cold for good dendrite growth. So again who knows. Could be 4" of sticks, sand, and pellets 

Yea, even down here closer to the heavier stuff the snow growth is anemic at best.  Pretty much a nice refresher at this point, but not a stand out event by any means

Event totals: 3.4” Snow/0.23” L.E.

I wasn’t at home today, but based on the rate at which the snow was accumulating on our J&E Productions Live Web Cam, the flakes must have been pretty small.  There was roughly an inch on the boards by 2:00 P.M., but from 2:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. it didn’t look like there was much additional accumulation at all.  Things apparently changed dramatically after that though, because there was 3.4 inches of snow on the boards as of 6:00 P.M. observations.  My wife got home around 4:00 P.M., and when I got home around 6:00 P.M. there were no signs of her tire tracks in the driveway.  I figured she’d had something to do after work, but I was surprised to see her car right there in the garage

The accumulations between 4:00 and 6:00 P.M. suggest that the snowfall rate was around an inch an hour, and based on what I’m seeing on the boards right now, that seems to be the current snowfall rate.  There are certainly some bigger flakes in there now creating lofty snow because even with today’s earlier snow in the stack, the aggregate density of the snowfall was roughly 15 to 1.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.23 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.8

Snow Density: 6.8% H2O

Temperature: 15.6 F

Sky: Snow (1-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.0 inches

Anyway, the accumulation thus far has been right in line with the 2-4” that the BTV NWS had in our point forecast for today.

Archived