Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, #NoPoles said:

Did you say Hi to PF when you went to Stowe? You guys need to post pictures of you skiing together!

Hehe, well PF is typically at work when he’s at the mountain, so I wouldn’t be inclined to bug him.  We’re also typically there on program days where we’ve got a schedule with the kids, or impromptu powder days that are spur of the moment and not easy to plan.

6 hours ago, alex said:

It's -22 here. Yikes

Alex,  took a ride up to Franconia Notch and around to Bretton Woods yesterday late morning.  As I past by your right near you  I checked my car thermometer.  It said 19F.  I then clicked on Weather Underground and your station and it reported 19F also.  So your thermometer seems very accurate, at least compared to my car.

Crazy amount of snow through Franconia Notch.  I have a good amount on the ground here but there is less in Plymouth up to south of Lincoln.  That shadowing from the Whites is for real.  Then as soon as you get into the notch the amounts pick up drastically.  The snow loads on roofs up your way is huge.

Now just cold and dry.  My turkeys are really struggling through this deep powder.

What a gorgeous day! I couldn't resist sneaking over to NH to take to the skies and take a few ground shots as well. The snowmobilers were out in force enjoying it all.

In the air in New Hampshire:
26016957827_29b51a3c2d_k.jpg

40889115271_fc4c456c3e_k.jpg

39079619590_2f06e6ea67_k.jpg

40197601684_71d2da8a7b_k.jpg

40181421984_03b68f5d48_k.jpg

27018793588_e43f0068b9_k.jpg

On the ground in Marshfield, VT and NH:
40181484714_71828cc1a3_k.jpg

40847349952_239acbc8d9_k.jpg

39079699870_6e525d5cb6_k.jpg

26017019247_1d75a8d519_k.jpg

Copied this from the Ski Thread.

Hey guys, was wondering if you had any advice. 

First off, went skiing two weekends ago at Plattekill NY and conditions were exellent. Last weekend I skied Magic on Saturday and Okemo on Sunday.. and conditions were even better!  

Now I'm spoiled rotten... 

Now for this weekend.. I'd like to hit Killington, or even Plattekill or Belleayre.. but my concern is that though they all got 6++ feet within the last few weeks, the most recent snow would be 9 days old. Do you think the snow would be somewhat skied off at say Killington? 

Another option is .. was thinking of hitting Blue Mtn in PA (near Allentown). The got 10" from yesterdays nor'easter, but more importantly, they have a low elevation, and temps are expected to be in the low 40s both saturday and Sunday.. so should be nice spring skiing there and not ice issues...

What's better, 9 day old snow/packed powder., or Blue Bird Spring Skiing? 

Thanks in advance. 

-Jason

On 3/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, powderfreak said:

Awesome photo!

Ironically I took a very similar shot here last night... beautiful evenings with the late sunset.  It's light until like 7:30pm these days.

Goodnight-Mount-Mansfield..jpg

This looks like a Sabra Field print

I still have on average a 36-38" snow pack, which is likely one of the deepest in all of New England right now save for the mountains like Mt. Mansfield and Mt. Washington since the north country didn't get as much from the March nor'easters. The only other places on the observed snow depth NOHRSC map that have >= 36" besides Mt. Mansfield and Mt. Washington are a spot in far northern Maine and up by Coles Pond in the NEK. We missed storm #4 here, but #1 gave us 12", #2 45" (+ 8" upslope), and #3 7" (+ 17" upslope). I'm at 90" for the month! Although I wasn't living here earlier in the winter, I'm guessing there was about ~90" here for DJF. A bit more and we'll likely pass the 200" mark on the season. Given the pattern, I think the odds of another 6" or greater storm here before the season concludes are at least 50%.  

Meanwhile the valleys like North Adams and Bennington are quickly melting out and will likely be bare by midweek. Lots of brown patches there already. The roadside piles on VT 8 through Searsburg pass are nothing short of epic...6-8' high in some places. I'll try and grab a few shots.

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 35.0

Snow Density: 2.9% H2O

Temperature: 24.4 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 13.0 inches

The BTV NWS says the overnight snow was from a vigorous short wave amidst the general trough we’ve got aloft.

Archived