• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

dryslot

NNE Winter Thread

Just now, mreaves said:

While I was sitting at work in Montpelier watching a nice snowfall with 5”-6” or so by the time I left at 4:30, apparently there was something special happening here at home in Barre Town. I thing there is well over a foot that has fallen and it’s still just puking snow. I will post pics later. When I checked just before I left work, it looked like we were in the northern reaches of that band that stretched into CT, as PF had mentioned earlier. Wow, had expected less than this over a longer time frame. This is a surprise. 

No doubt we got into that band.  Still hammering here although flakes are a little smaller than earlier.

4 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

No doubt we got into that band.  Still hammering here although flakes are a little smaller than earlier.

SAme here. I actually had to go home on Rt. 302 through East Barre to get to Graniteville because it was snowing faster than the plows could handle. Luckily my wife and son clears some driveway so I could get in. I’m going out to snowblow it now. I’m glad it’s fluff, if it was like the last stuff, I’d have to surrender. 

Well, it looks like the BTV NWS is ramping things up around here a bit – I just saw on The Weather Channel that we’ve been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning here in Washington County, and I can see that Lamoille County has also been upgraded.  The latest projected accumulations map is below as well, with some 18-24” shading in the Mt. Mansfield area:

13MAR18B.jpg

13MAR18C.jpg

Just now, J.Spin said:

Well, it looks like the BTV NWS is ramping things up around here a bit – I just saw on The Weather Channel that we’ve been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning here in Washington County, and I can see that Lamoille County has also been upgraded.  The latest projected accumulations map is below as well, with some 18-24” shading in the Mt. Mansfield area:

13MAR18B.jpg

13MAR18C.jpg

They better update their map for Montpelier.  I was at 10" at 5:30.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

13MAR18B.jpg

13MAR18C.jpg

15" new for down here would be quite a haul--unless they are saying total including what fell today..which wasn't much..around 4".  The map does say from 6pm tonight through Thursday, but assume it would mean total including what fell already.

4 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Hard to believe, with all these big wild juicy storms, that I've never exceeded 21" and that was 17 years ago.

My interest has dwindled to an all-time low.

I think Gene said something similar..like he never had a storm over 20"?  I might be wrong on that and not sure how long he has lived there, but thought he said soemthing like that.  Seems crazy for both you guys.

Despite nothing showing up on radar here it has been ripping, about 4 inches since 7:30.  13.7 inches on the day.

Edit:  my brain was fried from shoveling.  Total should have been 12.7

I'm closing in on 2' and it is still snowing.  Thank god it is really fluffy and light or my poor snowblower would have died.  Here are some pics below.  The poorly lit, unofficial tape measure reads 20".  That deck and all the surfaces in the pictures had been cleared after the last storm.  The back yard area was cleared for the dog as well.  

fIMG_0074.JPG.30a56b5e5eab5b551027ea5b98e5da39.JPGIMG_0073.JPG.19d0228e75eff8435fad69dfe099ead0.JPGIMG_0078.JPG.16cb0f708bb008da4275f7a7eb350f88.JPGIMG_0082.JPG.8e08b963c1120bd61929b32419d0b2cb.JPG

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, eyewall said:

7.1" here just before 4am

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

WOW!  Down here, there is nothing of the sort. Driveway in south end has like 3" .....

3.5 since 1030 last night, 17.2 for the event here, snow still falling.  The height of the piles is starting to make shoveling challenging, I am very glad I cleared the driveway last night even if there was close to 4 inches new at the top by the time I finished.

Edit:  math error, 16.2 inches as of 6am

Event totals: 11.0” Snow/0.77” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 7.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.43 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.9

Snow Density: 5.6% H2O

Temperature: 30.2 F

Sky: Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

I just got pretty close to 10" on average here as well as of 7:30. Definitely our biggest event of the season

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last night I measured 20" before I started snowblowing.  I estimate that it snowed about another 4" while I was doing it.  This morning there was another 5" on the last deck I cleared before going inside around 10:30 last night.  Still snowing this morning.

IMG_0084.JPG

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think Gene said something similar..like he never had a storm over 20"?  I might be wrong on that and not sure how long he has lived there, but thought he said soemthing like that.  Seems crazy for both you guys.

Can happen in the best of places.  My 3 years in BGR (Jan 73-Dec 75) yielded nothing greater than 12", and that one was in April.  13 winters in Gardiner, Maine - 85-86 thru 97-98 - topped out with the 17.5" of 16:1 fluff in Dec 1995.  Even snowy Fort Kent only brought 3 events over 18" in 10 winters; it's actually been better here - 9 storms 18"+ in 20 years (assuming the current one doesn't reach that mark) even though my 89" average here is 45" less than I had in FK.