Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, eyewall said:

The winds are nearly calm here but gusting to 50-60 mph this morning just 15-20 miles away. Got to love Vermont's microclimates.

Starting to change...just had a few window rattlers here in downtown. Nothing too intense but I'd say 35 or so

Whiteface recorded 94 already this am.  So it's ripping up there good

I took a drive to underhill and Bolton to the western slopes and there were narrow bands of 50-60mph gusts with tree debris and branches down. Literally just a few hundred feet wide at a time. In between it was a non event.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I took a drive to underhill and Bolton to the western slopes and there were narrow bands of 50-60mph gusts with tree debris and branches down. Literally just a few hundred feet wide at a time. In between it was a non event.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Saw a couple healthy pines snapped in half down here on the west slopes..they were pretty thick too, not those tall skinny ones.

What a great storm.  Even forgetting the fact that it is April 16th.  

48 hours below 32F

2" of sleet.  Stratus is frozen and sleet overflowed so don't have rainfall total.

2nd highest wind gust I have ever recorded on my old Davis.   48mph from the NE which is a sheltered direction

Temperature is now 33.2F., at 8pm   So again CAD really overachieved.  All day I was 32.5 to 34F which was my afternoon high.  No model had the cold air hanging so long.  I had sleet mixed in till 6pm.

12 hours ago, tamarack said:

Still just sniffing at the edge of precip - had 0.09" of ZR overnight with a few IP mixed in.  Storm total of white:  "T".  Expect the temp will be about 33 when serious RA arrives.  Fun reading about MN/WI/ and the UP - wish they posted more pics.

Go to johndee.com check out the northwoods web cam system

It was rain at our elevation down in the Winooski Valley this morning, but you could tell the snow line was close by the snowy look of the precipitation even in some of the lower peaks, and the fact that the raindrops on the windshield had ice crystals in them.  The elevation forecast is looking pretty nice over the next several days as the Mansfield graphical point forecast would suggest:

17APR18A.jpg

Proximity to the Green Mountains sure made a difference in temperature.  Last night in Brandon, it was 44F degrees at 9 pm.  Twenty minutes later and 16 miles to the west in Orwell, it was 37F.  Winds in Brandon mixed the air, the absence of wind in Orwell kept the cold air in place at the surface.  Pretty neat variations.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:28 AM, adk said:

Yea. BCC's tenative opening was the 15th. Then the 22nd. Then the 27th.  Now....I have doubts about that.  This ice event was brutal for soil conditions. There is so much water in the soil right now and this week is going to not dry a ounce of that water up.  

This is the first tee at our course.  The superintendent says the 28th at the very earliest.  Personally, I'm thinking May 1st.  Our course sits on top of a big gravel deposit and drains very well so soil moisture usually isn't a problem

NCC 04-16-18 A.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

those ski areas in the greens still open, heckuva upslope couple of days then some synoptic to end the week, Spring!

Yes, these types of storms are one of the reasons we like April (and the assortment of both open, but especially closed areas with nice deep snowpack is also a very sweet perk).

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

917 AM EDT Tue Apr 17 2018

.SYNOPSIS...

A deep trough across the North Country will continue to produce occasional valley rain and mountain snow showers through tonight. Some light snow accumulation is likely in the higher elevations as much below normal temperature prevail. A brief break in precipitation is expected on Wednesday with temperatures in the 40s, before another system produces more rain and snow. Some additional snow accumulation is likely in the mountains on Thursday into Friday.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

As of 917 AM EDT Tuesday...Tonight into Weds...Mid/upper level trof lift toward northern Maine with cyclonic northwest upslope flow developing. This wind trajectory combined with placement of best 1000 to 700mb rh fields support qpf/pops become more trrn focused overnight into early Weds morning. Additional light snow accumulation likely from the northern Dacks into parts of the central and northern Green Mountains, generally above 1500 feet overnight tonight.

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/...

As of 338 AM EDT Tuesday...An upper level low will push up through the Saint Lawrence Valley and again become firmly established over the North Country. This will lead to more rain and mountain snow showers during the day on Thursday. By Thursday night snow levels should drop to the valley floors and most of the North Country should see some snow with 3-5 inches in the mountains and a dusting in valleys.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Just took at cat ride to the top and there is an obscene amount of ice above 2,500ft.  

There has to be 2" of pure glaze of everything from ropes to chairlifts and trees.  

Back over to snow though to the valley floor but not Champlain Valley.

IMG_9281.GIF.0de2225c87205f083875f2fd300f6629.GIF

PF, with the cessation of lift-served season daily snow reports for Mansfield, keep us posted on how accumulations go this week if you get any beta.  It sounds like Winter Storm Xanto has put down some bomber base up there (almost exactly 2 inches of liquid equivalent down at my site), the question now is what this week’s snow might do to put something nice down on top of it.  There are always the Mt. Mansfield Stake and co-op depth and accumulation reports to follow, but we know how those co-op reports from the engineers can go with their can method.  It looks like the snowpack at the stake is at 88 inches as of yesterday afternoon’s report.

Passing through the spine via the Winooski Valley this afternoon I could see that snowfall wasn’t really far off the deck, and even down here at 500’ at the house we’ve got some light snow falling.  It’s still a bit too warm to accumulate down here, but I can see on the 3,125’ Mid-Mountain Cam at Sugarbush that they’ve picked up roughly 3 inches of snow.

17APR18A.gif

I'd say 1-2" on Mansfield today...no reading just an eyeball assessment during hill clean up.  It's pure winter though and I think this may be the most snow I've seen in the ground when we close in a decade.  

Its obscene, glades, all natural snow trails. Nothing even resembling a bare spot on the Mansfield side.  The groomers estimate up to 10 feet of snow in spots with snowmaking and I don't disagree.  

The conditions on the upper half (above the top of the Triple) were terrible though from the ice storm.  Below that it softened to really smooth peel away snow from the fresh accumulation on a softening base.  It was slow snow but real smooth.  Just don't go above 2,500ft.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I'd say 1-2" on Mansfield today...no reading just an eyeball assessment during hill clean up.  It's pure winter though and I think this may be the most snow I've seen in the ground when we close in a decade.  

Its obscene, glades, all natural snow trails. Nothing even resembling a bare spot on the Mansfield side.  The groomers estimate up to 10 feet of snow in spots with snowmaking and I don't disagree.  

The conditions on the upper half (above the top of the Triple) were terrible though from the ice storm.  Below that it softened to really smooth peel away snow from the fresh accumulation on a softening base.  It was slow snow but real smooth.  Just don't go above 2,500ft.

In a week that will all be corn. Kmart gonna have an epic spring skiing season

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Thanks PF, we’ll be watching the accumulations this week to see what falls.  It would be great if enough falls up high to cover up that ice!

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/2.20” L.E.

The snow eventually began to accumulation as the temperatures dropped off, leaving a couple tenths of an inch on the boards.  We’re well past two inches of liquid equivalent for this storm now, with a good shot of that still in the dense snow/sleet on the ground.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.0

Snow Density: 25.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

22 hours ago, mreaves said:

This is the first tee at our course.  The superintendent says the 28th at the very earliest.  Personally, I'm thinking May 1st.  Our course sits on top of a big gravel deposit and drains very well so soil moisture usually isn't a problem

NCC 04-16-18 A.jpg

Half BCC drains really well. The other half is muck on top of ledge rock. Doesn't drain at all. 

20 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Thanks PF, we’ll be watching the accumulations this week to see what falls.  It would be great if enough falls up high to cover up that ice!

Speaking of the ice, check out this Instagram post.  Truly impressive icing up high on Mansfield in that last event.  With no more grooming operations it's dicey (or icy) up high.  The snowfall definitely has trouble bonding to this glassy surface.  This shot should be from around 2,600ft based on the intersection with PM/Gondolier (known as the tower 18 intersection in Operations).  

A mutual friend of adk and I reported similar conditions this morning...that it was basically impossible to climb above tower 20 on the Gondola due to the ice.  Tilted pond ice.  

IMG_9301.PNG

Archived